Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Oatmeal Muffins Using Minimum Ingredients

Here is a photo of one of my oatmeal muffins on a cupcake stand, a Christmas gift from Stacey Snacks long ago. Here is the muffin recipe I found online. I really like it because it is so flexible for these times. It uses a minimum amount of sugar and oil and there are numerous substitutions if you are out of anything. Uses no baking powder, only baking soda. Almost all of the ingredients you will probably already have on hand plus there are many add-ons too for variety. This is just the basic recipe and my muffin is a basic one too, but delicious.

Ingredients: start preheating oven set to 425°
1 cup milk (almond, soy or rice milk works great too) I used my homemade soymilk yogurt.
1 cup quick-cooking oats or 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (off-brand works perfectly and they are no different from the name-brand) I used old-fashioned oats
1 egg (or 1/4 cup of mashed banana or 1 tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 2-3 tablespoons of water) I used an egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil or 1/4 cup canola oil I used Avocado Oil. Otherwise I would have used oiive oil.
1 cup all-purpose flour (or wheat flour) I used whole wheat flour
1/4 cup white sugar I used organic sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon I also added 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425°f (220°c). Grease or spray 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners. I just oiled my muffin pan with avocado oil and a pastry brush.
In a small bowl (I used a 4-cup pyrex measuring cup), combine milk and oats. Soak for 15 minutes. I used this same cup for the other wet ingredients after the 15 minute soak to save dirty bowls.
In a separate bowl, beat together egg and oil; stir in oatmeal mixture. In a third bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients, just until combined. I never sift anything but stir with a wisk. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups until cups are 2/3 full.
Bake in preheated 425° oven for 15-25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. 20 minutes was perfect in my oven.

6 comments:

Pam said...

I love all things oatmeal, so I'm going to try this recipe soon. Since hubby and I are staying home, I'll be cooking and baking more. Maybe I'll divide the dough in half and add craisins and nuts to some, and maybe some chocolate chips to the other half. Thanks, Rosemary!

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- They are so easy you should make two batches at once if you have 2 muffin pans. This will save having to heat up the oven again when you fall in love with your first batch. My first batch didn't last long enough to freeze any. You can soak the oatmeal in the liquid longer than 15 minutes if you want. I did to make sure the rolled oats weren't dry. My first batch kept very nicely in a covered container on the kitchen counter. Enjoy baking with your husband and be well.
xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

Rosemary, I just had to report that we LOVE the muffins!! I did add some raisins (that I presoaked in boiling water--to plump them up), walnuts, and I studded the tops of two muffins with chocolate chips. I also did a quick scan of my kitchen, to see what I have stocked, and substituted half the sugar for brown, and used half olive oil (for health) and half vegetable oil. Sorry I'm going on and on, but I think this recipe might be one of those that is very forgiving. I already thought about leaving out the raisins and nuts and putting a teaspoon of my homemade jelly in the center, prior to baking, for my next batch. You are right about making a double batch. I'll do that next time. We all need to come up with simple ways to feed ourselves well while we're staying home more. This recipe will be used often at my house. Many thanks!! Hope you have a wonderful day, Rosemary. I'm thinking of various household chores I can work on while I'm inside.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I love your idea about putting your homemade jelly in the center. I am going to put raisins in my next batch. Yes, I think this recipe is very forgiving and will never get boring. It's easy to whip up and goes together in a jiffy after the soaking process. Happy baking and thanks for the updates. I am glad you think this muffin recipe is a winner too.
xo, Rosemary

Zoe said...

I didn’t have any milk, so I used an 8 ounce container of Noosa lemon yogurt (whole milk) and added raisins soaked in hot water. Delicious!
Thanks for the recipe Rosemary.

The Queen Vee said...

I need to make these as soon as I have room in my freezer. I have got to seriously cut carbs so right now I couldn't eat them but Ken could. I just made a double batch of banana applesauce carrot bread and he has been enjoying that for breakfast. I figure it is somewhat healthy especially when he eats a carton of yoghurt with some walnuts along with it.