Thursday, July 16, 2009

Rolling Garden Bench of my Dreams

This is the rolling garden bench of my dreams. Scanned from one of my favorite books ~ GARDEN ORNAMENT Five Hundred Years of Nature, Art, and Artifice by George Plumptre; Photographs by Hugh Palmer. I always wanted to have one made and even collected quite a few antique metal wheels. I can't believe I gave them away when I made my last move in 2004. But I remember who I gave them to and I might just have to be an Indian Giver and take them back...sometime soon. I have been seeing the following picture around the internet of a modern version being made in the Netherlands. I want the English version above. The caption in the book identifies it as "an ingenious moveable seat at Felbrigg, Norfolk." Dibs...it is MINE! I saw it first. I even put my name across the front. You can enlarge the photo for a better view.

A good bench is sturdy and heavy; it's also very hard for one person to move. Dutch designer Rogier Martens has handily solved the problem with this barrowbench.
I would like his modern bench better in a garden setting if it had a metal wheel like this one. I scanned this barrow from one of my early 19th century English engravings.



Content in a Cottage

3 comments:

Tracy Watier said...

Wow... that's a really cool bench... the top one... but it looks like it would weigh a ton! Even with handles and a wheel! Hope you're able to get one!

teaorwine said...

Love the vintage wheel barrow.

Less is More said...

Hi good day ! nice post you have . It's very nice , I have plan to setting up my garden can you give me an idea or steps on how to make it beautiful. i have heard some garden accessories such as garden spinner , wind chimes , wind spinners and many more . I want to try this things in my garden but i don't know how to get the right accessories . I hope you can help me . thank you .