Friday, March 20, 2020

My Bluebirds are Building a Nest and MORE

It's a good day when the first thing you see when you first wake up is a bluebird sitting on the edge of a birdbath. His mate was entering my birdbox and they both have been busy since then setting up housekeeping. I couldn't be more thrilled. There are birds of all kinds scurrying around the lawn looking for worms, mostly robins. I have seen bluejays, cardinals, house wrens, mourning doves and chickadees too. The photo above is from Instagram and I've been saving it on my phone because I love it.  See my previous posts about bluebirds here.

My oven is preheating, the oatmeal is soaking, and I'm almost ready to stir up another batch of Oatmeal muffins that are getting rave reviews. I added 1/2 cup raisins this time.

This recipe really is forgiving. Somehow I turned off the oven when turning off the timer for the 15 minute soak. When I was ready to put my heavy vintage blue enameled cast iron muffin pan in the oven, the temperature registered 176° but I put them in anyway and turned the oven on and set it to 425° and set the timer to 25 minutes. They turned out fine and I took them out before the timer went off. I left them in the muffin pan for 10 minutes just in case. They are so good with the raisins!

This made me laugh.

5 comments:

Lisa D. said...

Rosemary, do you have a wildlife camera set up, or do you just take pictures with your smart phone? I REALLY need to set up a wildlife cam, but the problem is, there are too many areas of my yard that have wildlife - as if that were a problem! I love the bluebird. I have only seen Bluejays around here, no bluebirds. Bluejays are kind of mean. When they come around, all the other little birds run off.

Anita ~ the cabin on the creek said...

Congratulations on the nesting bluebirds. We had them nest in our yard when we lived in Ohio...it was so exciting when they came in mid-March to inspect the bluebird houses we had set up. I must try the muffins because I love healthy muffins...oatmeal is a perfect ingredient & the addition of raisins sounds wonderful. Having had Golden Retrievers (& Labs) over the years, the picture also made me laugh. So funny with the stuffed dog in the dryer in the background!

...all is grace!

jusaweecatnap said...

It's so exciting to hear about the bluebirds. I was just reading an article in Smithsonian Magazine that I think you'd like: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/meet-ecologist-who-wants-unleash-wild-backyard-180974372/
You seem to have the perfect yard to do this, and you're obviously well on your way already.

Pam said...

I woke up early this morning, to the sound of birdsong. The robins are building nests at our house. I love watching them. They're such hard workers. Most years, they build a nest in a shrub that is right outside a bedroom window. It's so close, we've actually seen babies emerging from their eggs. Hoping for that again this year.

Enjoy your muffins, Rosemary. Don't remember if I told you, but I loved the addition of chocolate chips--of course, I'm a chocolate addict. Have a great weekend. xoxo

A Mermaid's Tale said...

I've never seen a bluebird - they are so beautiful, in a not flashy way. How lovely to have them in your garden and nesting too. And that last photo is hilarious!