Monday, July 17, 2023

Two TRUE Spy Movie Recommendations: FREE ON TUBI

THE CATCHER WAS A SPY

I enjoyed this so much. It's a true story about a Princeton educated catcher for a baseball team who became a spy. I recommended it to a friend who had also read the book but didn't know it was a movie.

RED JOAN starring Judi Dench

It's mostly flashbacks to her student days and early employment. The actress who plays her then reminds me of a young Laren Becall. This is a must-see movie before seeing OPPENHEIMER that comes out this week about The Manhattan Project.

Hope you are all having a nice summer and have found ways of staying cool. I didn't turn on my central air until July 2nd. My house is very comfortable. I have mine set at 79° and that seems to be perfect unless I am doing something strenuous. I only have two zones, my main floor and the attic. I find that if I leave the basement door open it removes the humidity from down there too. I turn it off completely at night because the condenser is just outside my bedroom window and the noise would keep me awake. So far this system is working perfectly. I also turn it off completely when I go out. I changed the filter too. 

Let me know if you watch either or both movies and if you liked them. TUBI is wonderful and has a really vast catalog of great movies. They say it has surpassed YouTube in popularity. https://tubitv.com/home There are commercials but they aren't very distracting.

Enjoy. xo, Rosemary

5 comments:

Content in a Cottage said...

UPDATE: NEW POST TODAY WITH TWO MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS. xo, Rosemary

Lisa D. said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Rosemary. With all these different platforms, etc., I'm finding it a challenge to ferret out movies and shows that interest me. It's a job in itself to just keep up. I recently watched the first two episodes of "Full Circle" on HBO max. (It's now called MAX - another thing I have to keep up with!) So far, I've loved Full Circle, but I enjoy the suspenseful. With this writers' strike, I'm not so sure we won't be inundated with reality shows for a while. Oh Dear!

Content in a Cottage said...

Lisa D. -- Oh Dear is right about reality shows😱 I usually have a hard time finding something to watch after I have finished a series with many seasons. Not so with TUBI. I always find something to watch there quite easily. I watched THE MANHATTAN PROJECT there last night and thoroughly enjoyed it even though it was Science Fiction. Old movies you haven't seen are very plentiful and as long as they are good I am happy. Have a great weekend. xo, Rosemary

Karen said...

Hey Rosemary -

You always have good British 'stuff' to recommend:)

I already have 'Red Joan' in my to watch batch. Can't wait to watch 'Tthe 'Catcher was a Spy'.

I just finished 'WPC 56' - oh! I LOVED it! I binge watched all three seasons (why do they cancel the good ones?). Anyway - check it out - I think you would enjoy.

Happy Summer!

Karen

Content in a Cottage said...

Karen -- Thank you. I will look for WPC 56. I actually like to watch programs with limited seasons that are over and done. I hope you like RED JOAN. I'm actually having a nice summer. xo, Rosemary