Wednesday, March 1, 2023

FABLE: THE HEN AND THE APPLE TREE + HELLO MARCH


THE HEN AND THE APPLE TREE 

One October day, a Hen looked out her window. She saw an apple tree growing in her backyard.
 
"Now that is odd," said the Hen. "I am certain that there was no tree standing in that spot yesterday."
 
"There are some of us that grow fast," said the tree.
 
The Hen looked at the bottom of the tree. 
"I have never seen a tree," she said, "that has ten furry toes."
 
"There are some of us that do," said the tree. "Hen, come outside and enjoy the cool shade of my leafy branches."
 
The Hen looked at the top of the tree. "I have never seen a tree," she said, "that has two long, pointed ears." 

"There are some of us that have." ' said the tree. "Hen, come outside and eat one of my delicious apples."
 
"Come to think of it," said the Hen, "I have never heard a tree speak from a mouth that is full of sharp teeth."
 
"There are some of us that can." said the tree. "Hen, come outside and rest your back against the bark of my trunk."
 
"I have heard," said the Hen, "that some of you trees lose all of your leaves at this time of the year."
 
"Oh, yes, " said the tree, "there are some of us that will." The tree began to quiver and shake. All of its leaves quickly dropped off.
 
The Hen was not surprised to see a large Wolf in the place where an apple tree had been standing just a moment before. She locked her shutters and slammed her window closed.
 
The Wolf knew that he had been outsmarted. He stormed away in a hungry rage. 

It is always difficult to pose as something that one is not.

March came in like a LAMB at my house.
Here's hoping it doesn't go out like a LION at the end.
I have posted this engraving and poem many times and still love it.
Spring is definitely in the air with snow on the ground.
The sun is bright and the sky is blue.
19th century engraving by Walter Crane.
Poem by his daughter Bernice Crane.

xo

2 comments:

Pam said...

Another cute fable with a very valuable lesson. They always make me think. Welcome March!! I love that engraving, Rosemary.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I should have posted the March engraving first on the first of March! I love it too. The lesson in this fable was better than the story but a child would love it.
xo, Rosemary