Friday, February 24, 2023

FABLE: THE LOBSTER AND THE CRAB

 

 


      THE LOBSTER AND THE CRAB
"On a stormy day, the Crab went strolling along the beach. He was surprised to see the Lobster preparing to set sail in his boat. "Lobster," said the Crab, "it is foolhardy to venture out on a day like this." "Perhaps so," said the Lobster, "but I love a squall at sea!" "I will come with you," said the Crab. "I will not let you face such danger alone." The Lobster and the Crab began their voyage. Soon they found themselves far from shore. Their boat was tossed and buffeted by the turbulent waters. "Crab!" shouted the Lobster above the roar of the wind. "For me, the splashing of the salt spray is thrilling! The crashing of every wave takes my breath away!" "Lobster, I think we are sinking!" cried the Crab. "Yes, of course, we are sinking," said the Lobster. "This old boat is full of holes. Have courage, my friend. Remember, we are both creatures of the sea." The little boat capsized and sank. "Horrors!" cried the Crab. "Down we go!" shouted the Lobster. The Crab was shaken and upset. The Lobster took him for a relaxing walk along the ocean floor. "How brave we are," said the Lobster. "What a wonderful adventure we have had!" The Crab began to feel somewhat better. Although he usually enjoyed a quicter existence, he had to admit that the day had been pleasantly out of the ordinary. 
Even the taking of small risks will add excitement to life.

I love that you can learn a lesson when you read a book to a child. One of the agents in my office welcomed her first grandchild two days ago and she's over the moon with her tiny granddaughter. xo

See the other Fables from this book HERE.

5 comments:

Content in a Cottage said...

Friday Post Number Two is up and running. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

What a great little story! Isn't it amazing how words on a page can actually encourage us and fan the flames within us to have the courage to step up to life's adventures? I can still remember the impact such stories had on my students, years ago. The printed word is powerful!

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I didn't realize you were once a teacher so these fables must be extra meaningful for you. It's good to get out of your comfort zone once in a while even if it's only baby steps. xo, Rosemary

Susan said...

My sister and I laughed for hours reading this as adolescents/children. There is so much irony: yes, of course we are sinking! Horrors! Down we go!!

Content in a Cottage said...

Susan -- I'm glad you and your sister shared so many laughs after reading this fable. xo, Rosemary