Saturday, February 25, 2023

Determined Red-bellied Woodpecker

I watched this red-bellied woodpecker for quite a while. He was determined to get all the hidden seeds from beneath this concrete ball. He is a male and I know that because of his red crown. The female's head is white on top but she does have red going up the back of her head.

 He looks as if he's sharpening his bill but he's throwing the sunflower seed shells. Look closely and you'll see them bouncing off the ground.

I hope you aren't geeting tired of watching these animated live photos called GIFs. I can't get enough of this beautiful fellow; he's one of my favorites. Every now and then I look out my window and see snow flurries. But when I look again they've stopped. Enjoy the last weekend in February and stay warm if it's cold at your house too. 
xo

9 comments:

Pam said...

He's a showy bird and smart (maybe hungry, too). I always enjoy seeing your birds. Have a good weekend, Rosemary!

Susan said...

We have red bellied woodpeckers that come to our backyard in Dallas. I never tire of watching them.

Tasha T said...

This woodpecker is such a pretty guy. I love his red head and his determination to rid the world of sunflower seed shells. Thank you for posting, I look forward to your Gifs, do keep them coming.
I see you have snowdrops along the bottom of the wall too. A sign of spring in spite of the snow flurries.

Content in a Cottage said...

Susan -- I don't recall ever seeing a female for my handsome male red-bellied woodpecker. Surely he has a mate! Maybe she's too shy to come to my feeder. I will have to pay more attention to the crown of the head and look for a white one. I never tire of this big woodpecker too. I have the larger pileated woodpecker in my woods but never at my feeder. Have a great Sunday. xo, Rosemary

Noelle said...

Thanks for the pics they’re lovely. I never knew the difference between the male and female. I wish it would snow too! Thanks N

Content in a Cottage said...

Tasha T -- Thank you. I will keep the gifs coming. I have transplanted snowdrops halfway down my brick wall. I found large three patches growing wild where I dump my weeds this week. On a warmer day, I will dig them up and plant them where I can enjoy them. They are my first harbingers of spring. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Noelle -- I didn't know the difference either but my new bird book called it to my attention. Now I will be looking for a white top of the head and hopefully I will see the female mate for this beautiful red-bellied woodpecker with the red crown. xo, Rosemary

Nancy said...

Birds are always a good thing! Except for pigeons.

Your new layout on the blog is too bright and too different for me. Is the old layout gone for good?

Take care!

Content in a Cottage said...

Nancy -- I don't have any experience with pigeons but understand they can be a nuisance.

I'm sorry you find my new format too bright. You might try adjusting the brightness of your computer screen. SADLY, I forgot to back up my old format so I'm stuck with this new one. I am still playing around with it and eventually everyone will adjust. I like the larger pictures though. Thanks for letting me know your objection. Boo Hoo🥲

xo, Rosemary