Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Jane Allen Boyer illustrations: So Charming




Making toast looks very dangerous, doesn't it?

 I stumbled on the first photo of the young girl sewing and I had to know more. That was my childhood -- in the sewing room -- my favorite room in the house and we always had one wherever we lived. 

Jane Allen Boyer (1875-1940) was from Riverton, New Jersey. She illustrated several WWI era books for girls. See the article I found here written by the Historical Society of Riverton NJ. It shows the book covers of her five books. Enjoy.


UPDATE: Here is a link for used copies of The Mary Frances Sewing Book

"The Mary Frances Sewing Book 100th Anniversary Edition: 
A Children’s Story-Instruction Sewing Book with Doll Clothes Patterns for American Girl and Other 18-inch Dolls"

You can refer to the link for the Historical Society above for all the other titles of the Mary Frances books and search for them HERE.

Happy Hunting
XO

10 comments:

annette said...

Beautiful illustrations! xo

Content in a Cottage said...

Annette -- I'm happy to hear you agree with me. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

Rosemary, these are truly lovely! So much attention to detail. I smiled at the cuttlebone inside the bird's cage. And that tomato-like pincushion on the table--ours was velvet and I loved it as a young girl. I wonder about the faces she painted--in the openings of the scissors, the eyes on the pincushion, then in the kitchen the clocks had faces, as did the teakettle and other dishes. So interesting. So much talent!

Tasha T said...

Children's book illustrations are always so evocative and the ones you've posted are fine examples. I have seen the picture of the girl sewing before but not the others. Thank you for posting, Rosemary, they are so lovely.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I still have my tomato pincushion! About those faces---why is the black pot scowling when all the other things on the kitchen table are smiling in the third photo? I suppose you have to read the stories to understand. I'm glad you like these charming illustrations too. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Tasha T -- All of those illustrations are new to me and I love them all. I know I would have enjoyed all of her books when I was young. I'm glad you like them too. xo, Rosemary

Susan said...

I have the lovely reprints of the Mary Frances books. They come with patterns tucked into envelopes in the back of the books.

Gretchen Joanna said...

So delightful!! I must research the artist for myself, too, and for my little granddaughters' sake. Thank you!

Content in a Cottage said...

Susan, Thank you! It's very nice to know these delightful Mary Frances books have been reprinted with enclosed patterns. Gretchen Joanna will be happy to learn this too. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Gretchen Joanna -- Susan just commented all of the Mary Frances books have been reprinted for your little granddaughter. Here is a link for The Mary Frances Sewing Book.
I will add a link to the post for The Mary Frances Sewing Book.
xo, Rosemary