Saturday, October 22, 2022

The Sitting Room Downstairs + Geraniums


I still haven't vacuumed downstairs but I will before the weekend is over. I have been busy digging up Dahlia beds and storing them for next spring. The ground hasn't frozen yet but the foliage is all black so today was the day for that chore.



This is the view of the easy chair with the ottoman.



My mother and I got this wonderful hanging shelf at a garage sale and I painted it long ago. It turned out to be the perfect thing to hang over the radiator with a thick piece of glass on top. 



The geraniums love this sunny spot in front of the sliding glass door. Yes, that's a draft dodger behind the tray designed for wet boots. It is the perfect size and catches any overflow when watering the plants.

I got plenty of exercise pulling and hauling and dumping dahlia stalks and cleaning up. The tubers are stored for the winter now. xo

UPDATE: There is a better photo of the easy chair and long chest with 16 drawers in one of my old posts below.

6 comments:

Pam said...

Such a nice room, Rosemary. And having the patio doors and wide-open spaces is such a blessing! I don't remember seeing this room before, but I'm a little envious of you having 16 drawers for storage, lol! Today we're enjoying 78 degrees, sunshine, blue skies and blowing leaves. Soaking it up while we can. xo

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- Maybe you missed the post about the excitement of acquiring this wonderful 16-drawer piece. It was used in a New England college for women in the science lab for microscope storage. I got it from someone who was moving to Virginia and had no place to live yet and would be renting.

https://contentinacottage.blogspot.com/2021/04/new-acquisition-with-16-drawers.html

The radiator and hanging shelf are on the wall to the right of this easy chair and ottoman.

Glad you are having such ideal fall weather. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

I remember now. Gosh, sometimes I scare myself;)

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- But this is the first time I have posted the radiator wall with the hanging shelf. That's why you didn't remember the rest. Enjoy your Sunday evening. xo, Rosemary

Eileen in Fla. said...

Last August I bought 2 'draft dodgers' at TJMaxx clearance shelf for 49 cents each. I was so proud. I never heard them called 'draft dodgers' - very clever.

Content in a Cottage said...

Eileen in Fla. -- What a great price for the two draft dodgers. I have them all over my house and they really help. I love the name too. I have never heard them called anything else. xo, Rosemary