Saturday, October 15, 2022

My Deer Weathervane Finally Mounted


I had this vane on a barn at my former house. It has been stored in the loft over my garage since 2004. I had a large Chestnut tree cut down but left the stump about shoulder high. The tree was diseased with a weevil and the chestnuts were not edible. Even the squirrels wouldn't eat them last year. It was a very messy tree on the edge of my driveway always dropping something all year long. Tassels in the spring all over the roof over my kitchen and my car. They stained my balcony floor too. Then the pricker balls in the fall were especially painful to pick up after raking. Missy learned early on not to walk down the driveway after she stepped on a few. My handyman came today and flattened the mount and screwed it into the tree stump. I am thrilled. I can see this leaping deer from my side kitchen window. I am going to sprinkle black oil sunflower seeds on the stump when the weather gets colder. In the spring and summer I will put big pots of geraniums on either side. So happy.
Enjoy your Saturday evening and Sunday.
xo

10 comments:

Tara Dillard said...

A beauty. Never seen this one.

Sweet after so many years, and coming from your previous garden.

How precious, each time seen from your kitchen window..........

It is these moments, gardens excel

Peach Margarita said...

Love this. Such a clever idea!

Content in a Cottage said...

Tara Dillard -- Tara, I am enjoying my leaping deer weathervane again after all these years. So glad I could finally place it where I could see it. Have a great Sunday! xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Peach Margarita -- Thank you. My "tree" is still there for the wildlife to enjoy. I'm buying my birdseed tomorrow while Agway's big sale is going on. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

Rosemary, I hope every time you look out and see that lovely old vane, it brings you joy. Your plan to put food on the stump for the birds and squirrels actually reminded me of The Giving Tree (love that book!)

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I hope my giving tree stump is happy now that it has a new purpose. It is certainly giving me joy too. xo, Rosemary

mia said...

Charming. So much nicer than staring at the real deal in your backyard munching on your plants. The ones that live in the woods just beyond our fence seem indignant when I try to chase them off. The deed to our property means nothing to them. I am concerned not only that they carry deer ticks, but also that so many of them apparently are "reservoirs" for covid.

Content in a Cottage said...

mia -- Thank you. I had three live deer munching on my grass in my rear yard late yesterday. I just happened to be in my basement kitchen putting assorted screws away I had laid out for my handyman. I watched them for a while and didn't go outside to shoo them away until one discovered the newly planted urn filled with a beautiful green ornamental kale. They all ran away before one bite was taken. I did NOT KNOW they are reservoirs for covid.😱 Must look this up. Thank you for letting us know. xo, Rosemary

Lisa D. said...

I love it! Have you seen The Stumpery at King Charles's Highrove garden? I've only seen pictures from their website, but I think the gardens are fabulous. There is so much creativeness and whimsy that went into making it.

Content in a Cottage said...

Lisa D. -- I have never heard of The Stumpery at Highgrove. I googled it and learned many of the stumps are from upturned Chestnut tree stumps. They make for a very clever woodland garden. Thanks for telling me about it.

https://www.highgrovegardens.com/pages/the-stumpery

Another site for my bucket list if I ever get to England again. xo, Rosemary