Tuesday, October 25, 2022

An Accidental Insect Photo + Turtle Night Light


I went out after the rain stopped this afternoon and was taking random photos again. I didn't notice the insect until after the photo was snapped.



It was a Spotted Lanternfly and he flew away before I could squash him.



Sometimes I forget to look up. I captured the 5 minutes or so of blue sky and white clouds before it became overcast again.



This realistic tortoise night light is one of my favorite things. The body is iron and the shell is glass. I leave it on all the time down stairs and it makes me happy each time I walk by. I got it years ago at a house sale and I've never seen another one.🐢 I have a 5W bulb inside so it doesn't use too much electricity.

UPDATE: I had a special request for interior photos of my turtle lamp from Charlene. I went downstairs and took 5 more. She has a snail lamp that she thinks is similar to my turtle.


I couldn't resist posting this engraving of a snail
from my Royal Book of Crests!











xo

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Here is your turtle !! A beautiful nightlight . Your photos are always so lovely. https://picclick.com/Vintage-Cast-Iron-Turtle-Lamp-Night-Light-Orange-165667232866.html?refresh=1

Content in a Cottage said...

Caroline -- Thank you. This is the one that looks the most like mine: https://picclick.com/Vintage-Cast-Iron-Turtle-Lamp-Night-Light-Orange-165667232866.html?refresh=1 -- It just says transparent shell so it may be plastic whereas mine is glass.
xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

That Spotted Lanternfly is amazing--a real work of art. I've never seen one before.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I hope you never see one. They are beautiful but so very destructive. Please click on link under their name in my blogpost -- here is part of it.
This insect has the potential to greatly impact agricultural crops and hardwood trees. SLF feeds on the plant sap of many different plants including grapevines, maples, black walnut, and other important plants in NJ. We are encourage to stomp on them. They are an invasive planthopper native to China, India, Vietnam, South Korea and Japan. They are very fast and jump long distances. I got a good photo so you will know what to look for. xo, Rosemary