Tuesday, March 15, 2022

My First Large Screen TV


I took this photo this morning while The Donna Reed Show was playing on the Decades channel. The program was in an old square format and didn't even take up the full screen. The two wide black bands on either side of Mary's face are actually part of the 43" screen.



I worked for days getting the new arrangement just right. I have had only two fires in two years so I decided to hide the fireplace entirely and let my new 43" TV have center stage. I tried several ways of having both but it wasn't possible. I had an old  storm shutter in original blue paint in the garage that covered the opening with more space on either side. I had an antique rectangular heavy wire basket that I used for firewood and I flipped it over to make a TV stand. The two wooden slat feet were perfect for keeping the TV upright and nice and tight and the set looks like it is floating. Two feet came with the set but I didn't have anything wide enough to use as a base and I think my basket looks better anyway. The fireplace fender looks nice in front too. I moved my old pot rack that was next to my desk and I like it nearby for my books and magazines. I always swore I would never have a TV that was the focal point of a room but I don't think this is too overwhelming and I'm enjoying it a lot. The remote has Voice Control. The setup was very easy; the hardest part was getting the back off the remote to insert the included batteries.😂 It has Chromecast built in and Apple Play too. It works with my air antenna by clicking on INPUT. 



 The remote is very simple and easy to use. 
Right now I am watching a really good legal series
on Tubi called THE JURY.



My local Walmart had this Vizio TV in stock and the rest is history. I bought it a week ago Friday and the past 10 or 11 days have been spent moving things around so it looks as if it belongs here and now I think it does.
xo
 

16 comments:

Pam said...

Wow--that really turned out well, Rosemary! I like your upside-down wire basket and the fender. It looks like it was meant to be. Enjoy!!

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- Thank you! That wire basket has always been one of my favorite things and now I love it even more. I don't know what made me think of using it in this way but I'm so glad I did.
xo, Rosemary

Lisa D. said...

You did a great job on the price. I think you will find that you will experience greater viewing enjoyment, Rosemary. This reminds me that I need to get a larger TV for my bedroom. There is nothing wrong with the one I have now, except that is way too small for the space. I would love to have a 4K, but have not priced them.

Eileen in Fla. said...

That's a good size and you're going to enjoy those British mysteries and PBS so much on a bigger screen. Congratulations.

Millie said...

You are so resourceful & creative Rosemary! I took one of the kids with me when I bought my new big screen telly. Against my better judgement they convinced me to add on a Yamaha sound bar to the package. I’m so glad they did because it’s been a revelation! The sound reproduction is fantastic & just like being at the cinema, minus the people in front talking all the way through the movie! xx

Anita ~ the cabin on the creek said...

I think it looks great Rosemary. When it is off, you don't see it as a focal point. The older I get, the more I follow the "form follows function" rule. Things need to work for me & my lifestyle. You do everything in good taste, so it is always a win-win.

...all is grace!

Noelle said...

Good luck with it and it looks great too! Thanks for the tip on the tv and remote.

Content in a Cottage said...

Noelle -- Thank you. I am very pleased I took the plunge into big-screen living.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Anita ~ the cabin on the creek -- Anita, You found the perfect words for my situation, form follows function. You don't see my fireplace wall when you first come into the room so the TV really isn't the focal point until you sit on my sofa. I didn't have a plan about placement when I made the purchase but was determined to make it work. I tried it on an artist's easel that was stored in my garage loft but it didn't work next to the fireplace. So I went back to the drawing board and I am very pleased with the end result. The electric cord comes out from the left side of the TV and the coaxial outlet is on the right side for a cable box or my air antenna. I am a cord cutter and having Chromecase built in was a big plus for me. Thanks for the pat on the back. I'm glad you agree about giving in to your lifestyle if it gives you pleasure and you can make it work.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Millie -- Your setup sounds amazing and you were smart to follow the advice from one of your boys. Vizio makes a sound bar but I don't need it. The sound is wonderful on this set thankfully. Anyway, I couldn't manage any attachments atop my wire basket. I'm glad you are enjoying your home theater with surround sound! xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Eileen in Fla. -- Eileen, Thank you. I am very pleased with the screen size and YES, streaming all the British mysteries on PBS is going to be fantastic. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Lisa D. -- Mine is 4k. It is amazing how reasonably priced big screen TVs are these days. I can remember paying $800.00 for my first flat screen with a 16"screen back in 2004. I donated it last summer! Good luck with shopping for a new one for your bedroom. I am really enjoying mine! xo, Rosemary

KatieDid said...

I love how you use "old things" in a new way! Your house is a dream and an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I've read every comment. and they're all great.
your cottage just becomes more and more wonderful!
and YES! form follows function for me too.
it makes me happy to think you're enjoying all the great Brit shows on this new tv! spot on dear heart! XO

Content in a Cottage said...

tammy j -- Tam, Everybody seems to be onboard with my new TV arrangement. I'm glad you like it too and are a fan of "Form Follows Function" mentioned by Anita. I will be streaming a YouTube YULE LOG on my TV screen this Christmas! xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

KatieDid -- Katie, Thank you. I am thrilled with the old wire basket's new life as a TV stand. Thank you for your kind words. Maybe somebody else will get some ideas from me. These two items are polar opposites but they pair well together. I honestly can't think of anything else I own that could have worked to elevate my new TV and support it at the same time.
xo, Rosemary