Friday, February 4, 2022

Still Working on a Sewing Repair Project: Roman Shades


I bought these two Roman Shades in a lovely toile fabric at the Fireman's sale in 2019 hoping I could use them. This year I felt I could tackle the project and I am almost at the finish line. I just have to try and iron out all the wrinkles and get my handyman to help me hang them on the French doors that open to my balcony overlooking the rear of my property.



I love this country print in black and cream.



A closer view of the last panel that ends in black grosgrain ribbon that has been box pleated. This panel had the same print on the rear side that was badly sun faded so I made a white panel to cover that damage for each shade.



Here is that back panel in bright white. I had to replace 50 of the "O" rings that had cracked and split from sun damage. The ones I ordered are UV protected and that shouldn't happen again. All of the two middle rows required replacement but only several of the two outside rows. I can't tell you how many times I stabbed my self with a needle doing this part of the repair.




Top looking down showing the pull cords and the wrinkles.



The cord pulling mechanisms.



A closer view of the bottom panel with the last pleat flipped back. I am almost on the home stretch. The worked in front of the TV in my living room for the sewing of the rings. Then I moved to the farm table in my kitchen to work on restringing the cords. I actually worked there when I put pins on all the pleats to hold them in place before I did anything.
Yesterday I set up my ironing board at the end of the farm table to help me with with the design and cutting out a sewing pattern for the rear panels. After I cut and measured and ironed all the seams under, I went to the attic to sew the margins. I ended up having to use a stapler to attach them because the fabric layers were too thick to hand sew. What an adventure but I am pleased with the outcome. I worked off and on for the better part of at least 10 days and it's been a great winter project. I am bothered by the blinding sun I get in the summer from sunup until early afternoon and these will be a big help to keep my living room cooler. I have a glare problem in the winter and the two glass doors let out a lot of my heat. I will probably raise them as much as possible for morning glare and maybe drop them completely at night to prevent heat loss. I'm just taking this one step at a time to see what works. I will post photos when they are hung. xo

14 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I'd say the shades were a great find at that sale. And what a lovely job of recycling something that might have ended up in a dump/landfill somewhere. I, too, love the black on cream print. As you say, they will help keep the house cooler in summer (and protect your lovely furnishings from sun fading) and probably be of even greater benefit in keeping warmth in and cold out in the winter months. Looking forward to seeing them hung and in use.

GiGi on Orcas Island said...

Kudos, Rosemary, on a brilliant job of repair and recycling these handsome Roman shades!...Stamina and fortitude and your vision shined through!! We look forward to seeing them hung and your project completed! (I hope you can hear the applause!)
GiGi on Orcas Island

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- The only reason the original owner got rid of them was because of the "O" ring failure. They are very well made and I'm sure they were expensive when custom made. It was an easy repair. I found the UV protected ones on Etsy. People surprise me when they just throw things away when they can be fixed. I forgot to mention I only paid $5.00 for the pair of Roman Shades but a whopping $20 for the new ring pulls. I ordered 3 packs of 50 each because I though I might have to replace all of them. The shipping was a whopping $9.00. I was snowed in at the time and there aren't any sewing shops near me so I bit the bullet and they came in the mail very quickly all the way from Arizona. I'll post photos when they are hung.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Gigi on Orcas Island -- Yes, I think I can hear the applause😂 It's good to have a challenging project to complete during winter snowstorms. I wish I hadn't waited so long but better late than never. Thanks for your glowing praise. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

I am proud of you for your perseverance, Rosemary. The toile shades will be a great addition to your home. You are saving a bundle, in addition to having the satisfaction of getting the job done. Hope you really enjoy them!

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- Thanks so much! I am sure they will exceed my expectations and the satisfaction factor is a big plus.
xo, Rosemary

Karen said...

These are going to be absolutely gorgeous! *they are now . . you have the patience of a Saint . . . Being a seamstress comes in SO handy:) Your little nest is SO cozy and country traditional. I could see your home featured in the old Traditional Homes magazine!

Lisa D. said...

They're beautiful! (I love anything that is toile anyway.) You are so clever and ambitious, Rosemary! I don't think I could take on a project like yours. I wouldn't know what I was doing. Have you made window treatments before? They are more that a bit complex to make, I think. I can't even finish making some simple gathered cafe curtains for my guest bath, and I bought the linen fabric early last Fall!

Guestie said...

Looking forward to seeing them hanging on your French doors
... beautiful toile. I have Brunschwig and Fils Roman shades
on my landing and at my dining room door. When their rings disintegrated, I used tiny safety pins as replacements for the O-rings.
Lovely old pineapple bed ... I have one very similar that
had belonged to my grandmother. It is in my guest suite in the basement, which I call "The Grotto."
Cheers from Guestie in Charlottesville.

Peach Margarita said...

Such a coincidence. I'm looking to have roman shades made for the double doors in my bedroom. These will be beautiful. You are so talented to recycle them. I can't wait to see them installed!

Penelope Bianchi said...

Rosemary......once again I say....BRAVO! Fascinating.....can you show pics of the whole room? Please??

There is so much to learn! I have been a decorator for 50 years......and there is so so so much still to
learn!

thank you!

Penelope

Anonymous said...

you are Amazing! I wouldn't have tackled that at all!
but I love how you've worked almost all over the house on them... LOL! they will be beautiful and Practical at the French doors! KUDOS to you dear friend! XO

Jean Ellen said...

Wow, good job. I have made these type of curtains from scratch, so you had a good head start just repairing them. You have done a wonderful job and now they look amazing. I know about doing hand work as well - I used to do a lot of sewing, but now, I find myself making a mistake in every project I try to accomplish. I just sew buttons on and maybe a hem or two now. Beautiful window coverings.

Content in a Cottage said...

Jean Ellen -- I grew up sewing from a young age and by high school I was making my own clothes. Now I just maybe make a face mask or too, do mending, or, like you, sew on buttons. I could never cut out a dress pattern and make a piece of clothing again. Curtains I can manage. These Roman shades were manufactured in a factory in Minnesota and were very nicely constructed. I have never had any complicated window coverings like these so it was like a puzzle. I am pleased with the results and they add a lot to my decor. You would need a big worktable or a pingpong table to make them from scratch like you do. Especially if you are making more than one and you probably are. I'm impressed that you have done them successfully. Thanks for stopping by to comment. xo, Rosemary