Thursday, February 3, 2022

Clothes Brushes in My Collection


These brushes are near my clothes closet in the bedroom I use as a dressing room. It has taken years to put together and I am finally satisfied. The one on the far left is my latest acquisition and my favorite. It has a long wooden handle that will reach behind me to brush off my clothes from one shoulder to the other. The long soft bristles pick up any hairs that might be there. My mother used to brush me off whenever I asked her and now I have the perfect brush for doing that myself. The brush beside it has stiffer bristles and is made by "Stanley". It's good for pilling on sweaters and dust on suede shoes. The tiniest one has very stiff bristles by "Coach" for shoes and handbags too. The long brush next to the tiny one by "Mohawk" is sometimes used with the dustpan for floor spills. The two at the top have natural Ebony handles and pure bristles. They are made by "Royal" in Japan. My mother spotted them for me at an estate sale long ago.  



Now you know what to look for if you want to expand your own collection of clothes brushes for good grooming. It is very foggy this morning and very warm with a soft rain. The rain will continue all night with warm temps above freezing. There might be some ice on Saturday morning. Take care if you are in the path of this winter storm. xo

7 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Your collection reminds me of a green suede cloth coat I purchased back in the mid-60s (oh, my) when I was first out in the working world. Shortly after the coat, I purchased a special brush for "sprucing up" the coat which I did nearly every time before wearing it. I can't remember whatever happened to that coat but I recall using the brush on suede shoes for a long time!

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- I had a suede skirt in the early 1970s but I don't think I ever had a brush. I also have many, many vintage brushes for cleaning radiators and various other things regarding housework. I prefer them to throw-away Swiffer products. I even have some with long broom handles various heads to screw on. I started collecting these long ago when most weren't more than a dollar at house sales. Stay snug and warm. Spring is coming!
xo, Rosemary

Linda Sand said...

That middle oval brush reminded me of the Fuller Brush company with its door-to-door salesmen.

I used to have a suede brush but I no longer remember why. :)

Pam said...

What a great assortment of brushes. It's fun to hear how you acquired them. We just finished clearing about 8 inches of snow from our driveway, walks and front stoop. Now we must get ready for plunging temps. We are so blessed to have been spared the ice storm! Stay safe, Rosemary!!

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- Sounds as if you have been working hard with 8 inches of snow to remove from so many places. I'm glad you were spared the ice storm. All of my snow has belted and it's been raining night and day for the last day and a half. It's still raining but not for long. The temps are supposed to drop below freezing with snow and ice or both. I am expecting to wake up tomorrow to an ice rink. My house is cozy so I don't mind being inside for the weekend. Higher temps next week should melt everything once again. xo, Rosemary

GrammaGrits said...

I had forgotten the brushes by Stanley. My mom had the divided black one when I was growing up - no idea what happened to it! They worked great. Now I use the sticky rollers most.

Content in a Cottage said...

GrammaGrits -- I was surprised this brush was made by Stanley. I thing Fuller made one like it too. I have a thing about brushes. I have another collection of small ones I use for cleaning, repairing, etc. all with long handles and a wide variety of heads. I have a "thing" about brushes. They are so very expensive when you see them at paint stores and hobby shops but very inexpensive at garage sales. The ones with natural bristles are my favorites. I cleaned out my hall closet used for cleaning supplies recently and that's where all the ones with hanging hooks live. Those sticky rollers you use are great as well. I'm glad I made you remember having the Stanley brush.
xo, Rosemary