google.com, pub-7903114624318175, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Taking Apart My Vacuum Cleaner | Content in a Cottage

Monday, January 24, 2022

Taking Apart My Vacuum Cleaner


The brush roller stopped working on my vacuum cleaner last week and I decided to try and fix it myself. I found a wonderful YouTube video that taught me how to take the base apart. There was one screw I never would have found by myself. I have it all apart but I cannot find my wire strippers anywhere. I called a friend who often helps me with my tractor and he's bring his over tomorrow. Fingers crossed it will work after this small switch is disabled by cutting the wires. Every video I watched said this was the most likely problem. So many people thanked this wonderful man for making the video and everybody was able to make this simple repair. xo

UPDATE: I did it. Vacuum cleaner is better than ever. Now the brush roller spins all the time but that's fine. I couldn't be happier. I made a template of the base out of cardboard and pushed the screws in the correct location as I took them out. This made reassembly a snap. I had to use three different screw drivers but I have a zillion tools so that was not a problem. I called my local vacuum repair store and he said Shark vacuums didn't have very many replacement parts. They want you to replace the whole base. He offered to look at it but I decided to keep looking for a tutorial and lucked out. I have lots of attachments and this vacuum cleans really, really well. It is a "lift away" and would still have worked without the base but now I have restored it back to better than NEW condition. xo

10 comments:

Pam said...

I sure hope you can fix it, Rosemary. My husband and I have learned so much from watching Youtube tutorials. He has helped many friends and family members with a variety of repairs. I think you can do it!!

Linda A. said...

I have taken mine apart a few times and was able to clean out or repair
but yours looks more complicated! Good luck,
Will go the U Tube route next time.🥰

Catherine Hunt said...

Isn't it so satisfying when you get stuck in and do it yourself. Glad of such wonderful people, a real global connection

tammy j said...

you have the Pioneer Spirit! the willingness to tackle it!
the art of fixing what is wrong. and the youtube tutorials are wonderful. it's incredible really when you think about it! xo

Content in a Cottage said...

tammy j -- Tam, My vacuum is up and running again and I am thrilled with my very first appliance repair. I made a template of the base out of cardboard and pushed the screws in the appropriate place as I took them out. Putting it back together again was a snap. A new base from Shark was almost $100 and this repair cost me nothing but my time. YES. YouTube is wonderful. There is one I check out a lot called "Dad, How Do I?" It was designed by a man who wanted to help boys without fathers do things a dad would usually teach them. It's a good place for anyone to learn things about taking care of a house.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNepEAWZH0TBu7dkxIbluDw

xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I did it and I am thrilled. Your husband is so kind to share his knowledge with friends and family members. I believe in repairing things rather than replacing them if possible. You and your husband know first hand how wonderful it feels to find the right YouTube tutorial to solve a problem. It is great when people share what they know with others. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Linda A.-- I was lucky to find a tutorial for my vacuum. There were many hidden screws I would never have found for myself. I resisted going to a repair shop hoping I could fix it myself and I did!!! It was actually pretty easy thanks to YouTube. Congratulations for taking yours apart for cleaning. It feels good to do things others pay people to do for them. I am a believer in DIY whenever possible. My mother was that way too. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Catherine Hunt -- It is indeed satisfying to complete a DIY project you never thought you could do. The step by step instructions by a very kind person made me think I could repair my floor brush that stopped spinning and I did. YouTube to the rescue. It's a wonderful free resource driven by caring people willing to share their knowledge. xo, Rosemary

mia said...

Bravo. I like the idea of making the cardboard template with holes for the screws you removed so you know how to replace them--and they won't roll away from you. Great idea.

Content in a Cottage said...

Mia, The template hack was another thing I learned on YouTube. The screws were not identical and required three different screw drivers so I put that information on the cardboard too. I had to make a "starter" hole in the cardboard with my awl, a tool that looks like an ice pick. I didn't cutout the template, I just traced a rough outline on the cardboard. It worked like a charm. I made a notation about the screw that was hidden under the lift-away hatch for a hose. I wasn't taking any chances on losing anything. xo, Rosemary