Thursday, August 12, 2021

My Guilty Pleasure: The Donna Reed Show on Decades


The Donna Reed Show comes on in my area on DECADES from 9am until 10am and I always switch to that channel if I'm home. I think it's on MEtv too. Since cutting the cord I am definitely stuck in the 1950s with my Air Antenna and commercials unless I'm watching a PBS channel. That's fine with me because I'm finding the commercials healthy because I jump up and do quick tasks while they are playing. It reminds me of my childhood days when my mother and I would jump up and rush to the kitchen to finish cleaning up and rush back when a program came back on asking, "Did we miss anything good?" to my dad and brother. 

I found this photo in a NewYorkTimes article entitled: 

I just love that all the "living" was done in the living room including dancing with music from the record player in the corner when teenagers came over. There was no rec room or den. The kitchen was for breakfast and lunch as well as ironing, and paying bills. The family ate in the dining room most nights. I don't recall any episodes with a TV set. There are 8 seasons in all from 1958. Try it, you'll like it. Yup, I'm stuck in the 50's and loving it! xo

8 comments:

Susan said...

One of my favorites, too.

Linda Sand said...

I remember once, I think it was Betty White, when asked about all those stay-at-home moms on TV said something like, "You realize we were all actors who were working, right?"

Content in a Cottage said...

Linda Sand -- That sounds like a Betty White comment! Thanks for posting it๐Ÿ˜‚ xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Susan -- I am a cord cutter and no longer have cable to I can't record any of the shows but I haven't seen too many repeats but I if one comes on I watch it anyway. It's very uplifting, isn't it.
xo, Rosemary

Anonymous said...

I can even hear the theme song in my head!
I loved all those shows... :D xo
and I love Linda's comment above! LOL!

Kay G. said...

Oh, I loved that show!
Your post reminds me of watching sports on TV as a kid...
if you missed something, TOO BAD, you just missed it...no recorded stuff in those days! LOL!

Pam said...

Yes! Bring back those 50s shows! We're thinking about cutting the cord, too. Kind of funny, but my husband says there's too much "reality" in today's television programming. We long for simpler, gentler times.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- You and your husband should do a test run to see if you will like cutting the cord. Take and extra TV and just plug it in without connecting to cable. Get an inexpensive "Air Antenna" and program the TV to recognize it. This was the hardest part for me -- in settings on the TV remote. Then have it search the available channels.
I love a channel called MOVIES. Every Saturday at 9:30 they have the old BLONDIE movies that are just wonderful. I think you will enjoy going back in time. You will find that you can get all of the main networks that you were paying for on cable. All I have in my cottage is high speed WiFi and Internet for $65 per month. There are lots of YouTube tutorials to help you get set up. In cloudy weather I have to adjust my rabbit ears and it took quite a while to find the best location for them but it was worth it. I am a happy cord cutter. They say too much sitting is bad for you and you should get up and move every 20 minutes. The commercials will help you do that.
xo, Rosemary