Friday, August 13, 2021

Yesterday's Organizing Find


Thursday seems to be my lucky day to find things to make my life easier when I donate items and shop at the same charity's retail outlet. Yesterday I found this metal hanging file to go on the back of my attic's batten door. I usually have the stairs piled with things that have to go up to be shredded or filed away. I usually have the half basket full of mailing labels I have ripped off the junk mail and I will still use it for the small ones. But now I have a place for the full-size sheets to be destroyed. I try to shred every single item with my name and address on it to prevent identity theft. I surprised myself by hanging it today instead of just propping it against a wall for ages as I have been known to do. I have a closed attic and I had to go outside to take this photo through a raised window. I couldn't back up enough in the hallway to get the full door and staircase. I can't believe how perfect it is. The area to the left is my living room's fireplace wall and my kitchen's huntboard wall is to the right. Happy Friday. I am late in publishing my daily post because I was invited out to have breakfast with friends. Happy Friday. xo

10 comments:

Pam said...

Rosemary, you snagged a wonderful find. I've never seen anything like your new metal file, but it sure does look as though it's always been on your attic door. Such a good fit! Happy for you. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE organization.
it makes life so much easier!
have a wonderful weekend Rosemary. :) xo

kathiquilts said...

Love that file -- what a great help in organizing! I pile all that type of jumble in a stack on a side of my coffee table until it about falls over!
...and Hoorah for you getting out with friends - we all need to nourish our souls!

Karen said...

Yes! That file just makes that door - just as an art piece alone - and it's functional to boot (the best!). Your little nest and it's interiors are so well thought out. Your love of your house is so evident - and I am jealous because my house is torn up five ways to Sunday! So I'll visit your blog to enjoy your pictures - thank you!

Jean Ellen said...

you snagged a beauty. Good for you for getting all organized. I wouldn't want to show you my area around my computer! Glad you got out for breakfast. Fun to switch up meals out.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- My "new" hanging file had a Home Goods sticker on the back and the price of $39.95. I have often seen them there in the unpainted galvanized finish but always resisted. When I saw this one for $15.00 I snapped it right up. It is absolutely perfect on the BACK of my attic door and is invisible when the door is closed in the front hall. It is already helping me immensely to keep the clutter from my kitchen table which is normally the dump site for things in transition that I haven't decided whether to keep or trash. Now is will have a file for UNDECIDED. I had no idea where this item would go when I bought it but I am quite sure it will remain on the back of the attic door forever in my lifetime and beyond.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

tammy j -- Tam, I love organization too and I have even perfected organized chaos in my attic and basement. I know where things are but putting things away when you give them a forever home makes things so much easier.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

kathiquilts -- I'm not a pile person. I prefer to spread things out until there are no visible surfaces😂 I became acquainted with my kitchen farmtable yesterday after putting up my hanging file. It really wasn't that hard because my brain was in the right gear. It was too hot to work outside so I cleaned and organized my first floor and the attic stairs. Baby steps. I know you all think I am a perfect person but I am basically a person with perfection goals that haven't been reached yet. August is the perfect month to get organized before Labor Day. After that it seems the next day is Thanksgiving and the next day after that is Christmas.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Karen -- I hear you. I am pretty neat and organized in the middle of my cottage but I have a messy attic and a basement disaster. I am determined to conquer both this year and next. They are both dumping grounds for things that should go in the garage or be donated. I have duplicates of so many things and that was fine when my mother was living but now I must get down to brass tacks.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Jean Ellen -- I have found that if I wait long enough, things I have admired and wanted but resisted always find me at just the right time in my life. Sometimes I find things I once wanted and am glad I don't have so it works both ways.
xo, Rosemary