Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Limelight Hydrangea + Dahlia, Day 4


When you read the label on a limelight hydrangea as seen in the right background, please believe it when it says the mature size can be up to 8' x 8'. All the rain we have had this season made mine get that large and I don't think there's any stopping it from getting even taller. Last year, I pruned it from the bottom to encourage height. I want it to become more of a tree so the deer can't reach it. They have begun to nibble recently so it needs to get even taller. They munched a little on the Lacecap too. I am especially pleased with my grocery store geraniums in the planter against the window wall. They are blooming their hearts out.❤️



Here we go with day 4 of my dahlia that is supposed to get to be 4 feet tall but I think it's a little taller. I think it will open up a little more around the center before it is fully "in bloom" and I can stop boring you with its beauty. When I look at the plant from inside the house through my living room window, it looks jet black with a yellow dot in the middle. As you get closer you see the deep red tones.♡🤎♡ I am so behind in my mowing and seriously must get out there this week.😩 
xo



6 comments:

Anita ~ the cabin on the creek said...

All of your plants look so healthy. I was away for 6 days & came back to very parched gardens. I have been spending the last two days watering...tomorrow I mow.

I have never grown dahlias, but I do appreciate them. I know I wouldn't be diligent about digging them up in the fall. The color of yours is spectacular.

...all is grace!

Anonymous said...

you NEVER bore us!!!
you are loved. xo

Noelle said...

Oh not boring at all! I love daily updates. I have never grown dahlias but will definitely try them next year. And love the limelight and the geraniums as well.

Gail, northern California said...

You have such a beautiful place. So lovingly and carefully maintained. That's a big job and can't be easy. You're an amazing lady.

KMKlump said...

I am not one bit bored. I look forward to seeing your pictures of the beautiful dahlia! opening! Thank you for sharing!
Kathy

Pam said...

Seeing your limelight hydrangea reminded me of a fabulous garden I used to enjoy walking in, years ago, when we still lived in town. The homeowners had allowed them to grow freely in height, and they looked like small trees. I always admired them. I'm enjoying seeing your daily pics of your blooming dahlia. One thing for sure, Mother Nature knows exactly when she's going to open the center, and it will be glorious!