Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Container Gardening at My Cottage

I bought some plants on Sunday at the local farm market that sells farm fresh food items too. I pick up groceries there every week. I grabbed these African Daisies thinking they were Gerbera Daisies. After I planted them in three containers (only two shown here) I read the tag and learned they are called GAZANIA, Strawberry Shortcake Mix. They are perennials down south in zones 9-11 but I will enjoy and love them as annuals.

Here, I am looking down on the third container. So far, the blooms are closing up late in the day. I don't know if this will continue when the weather gets really hot. They are supposed to spread and bloom continually from spring until frost. Doesn't that sound wonderful? They are supposed to be great in rock gardens and border fronts and make a great ground cover. I probably shouldn't have planted them in containers but I can thin them as they get crowed and replant elsewhere. I guess it pays to read before planting. Anyway, I love them up high where I can see them from inside the house.

My potted geraniums survived the winter indoors and look nice flanking my front door.

The third white concrete urn near the rooster is planted with basil, curly parsley, and broad leaf parsley. It is close to the front door and near the kitchen for clipping while cooking. There is another large basket-weave terra cotta planter to the left filled with the same herb plants.
My peonies are tall and filled with buds that get larger every day. They are swaying to and fro in the fierce winds we are having today. That's about it for today. See you another day. xo

9 comments:

hron said...

Great fun to see photos of your sweet cottage and your gardens. Everything looks lovely and aren't the colors "yummy" on the Gazania daisies??? I haven't grown them, but would like to try. Your neatly-trimmed hedges look robust and I see your "Lily of the Valley" is beginning to bloom. Still waiting for mine to bud. Thank you for the photo tour! - Marcia

Content in a Cottage said...

hron :: Marcia, I haven't trimmed my boxwood at all since last year. I love spring gardening and have been enjoying working outside more this year than ever before. I have been doing things I have been putting off for years during this Covid quarantine. I think others have too. So glad you enjoyed the tour.
xo, Rosemary

Lisa D. said...

These are great pictures of your cottage, Rosemary, and I love the garden urns.

SuSu said...



Although I lived down South for many years, I never tried that flower but did grow some similar which is known as a "Tiger something" that did well in place, bloomed until the end of September or so - rarely does anything last until the first frost in Central Virginia. I think they will do well for you and separating is always a good idea.

And...your front door is so elegant!

Susan

Pam said...

Your cottage looks wonderful and so do all your plants! I only had one geranium that survived the winter in our basement, but I put it out in a planter and it has nearly doubled in size in the past 10 days. Happy gardening! xoxo

Penelope Bianchi said...

Adore your blog. And every single post. Love everything at your cottage.
Those working shutters at the front door. I really object to fake shutters nailed on to the house. Just take them off. Better.

What a lovely thing you have been giving all of us for so many years!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

You are a gift. Taste, heart, beauty. Thank you.

Jenny said...

I bought some of these this year too for the first time. I planted them in containers as well so I guess I'll be transplanting them as they spread.

sandy lawrence said...

The Gazanias look lovely in your pots. I've grown them here in Central Texas. They're also known as African Daisies, so that tells you what you need to know about their care - full sun, excellent drainage, and they're also drought tolerant. Mine always closed at night. Not sure why they do that but bet it has something to do with conservation of something or other - maybe moisture? They have also re-seeded for me, which is a plus. I love free plants!

Your cottage looks lovely as always and ready for spring! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Gail, northern California said...

I'm green with envy seeing your Lilies of the Valley. The fragrance must be heavenly.