Tuesday, March 3, 2020

My First Hellebore Plant




I had a hard time picking out the perfect first Hellebore and here she is. I put her in the ground right away and topped the soil off with a fresh bucket of wood chips. It rained lightly overnight and I am thrilled with my new shade-loving perennial. The flowers are beautiful when there is nothing else in bloom except the snowdrops. We shall see when they bloom next year. They are also called Lenten Roses and this one is called Glenda's Gloss (Helleborus x 'Glenda's Gloss' PPAF)
I have been transplanting a huge grove of snowdrops I found in my woods where I used to dump my weeds. There is always a bulb or two in the mix and they multiply like wildfire. It's nice to have another flower in the garden before the daffodils are in bloom. 

7 comments:

Penelope Bianchi said...

Beautiful!!!!

Pam said...

I've always admired both the foliage and the blossoms of the Hellebore. Yours is really lovely, Rosemary, and it looks as though you've found an ideal spot for it. Happy growing!!

The Queen Vee said...

I have Snow Drop envy. And I'm pretty sure Hellebore wouldn't grow here either. I'll just have to enjoy yours.

Anita ~ the cabin on the creek said...

I purchased a Hellebore about three years ago & love it...you will be happy you got one!

...all is grace!

JEANNE ILLENYE said...

What a beautiful hellebore! I checked and see they're also deer resistant so will be a lovely early riser in the garden before my daffodils and hyacinths.

Sally said...

This is beautiful, thank you for posting.
I think you would enjoy Margaret Roach's gardening blog, A Way to Garden
-- here is a link to a recent post on Hellebores: https://awaytogarden.com/growing-hellebores-with-judith-knott-tyler/ .
Love your blog, thank you!

Content in a Cottage said...

Sally -- Thanks so much for the link on growing hellebores. I look forward to reading it this afternoon after the public open house I am hosting.
https://awaytogarden.com/growing-hellebores-with-judith-knott-tyler/
xo, Rosemary