Thursday, March 5, 2020

Snowdrops are So Delightful

This photo doesn't begin to capture the true beauty of a clump of snowdrops along my walk and almost against the foundation at my front door but it will have to suffice. I moved a few more clumps I found in the woods to different locations in the front and back yards. I cannot ever remember doing so much gardening so early in the year and I'm loving it. Hooray for mild winters. All of my snowdrops are the result of just a few clumps I brought from my last house. They are trouble free and they multiply like crazy. The bulbs are very tiny and it is hard to weed around them later in the year without pulling up a few so I try to dump the weeds in certain spots in the woods so I can dig them up again a few years later after the clumps become sizable.
Take care, try to stay healthy, and wash your hands often. The only thing I have stocked up on so far is Bathroom Tissue. I went to Costco yesterday and there was none...the shelves were bare. I went immediately to Wegmans and got what I needed and then some to store away. It's my favorite brand anyway. No panic buying there....yet. xo

6 comments:

Betty said...

I love beautiful snowdrops and have moved many from the woods.

Lisa D. said...

They're very pretty, Rosemary, but can you please tell me the difference between Snowdrops and Lily of the Valley? I can never seem to distinguish between the two.

Content in a Cottage said...

lisa. The foliage on Lily of the Valley is long and fat. Snowdrop foliage is slender. Here is the link for an old photo of lily of the valley at my cottage: https://contentinacottage.blogspot.com/2014/03/lily-of-valley.html They are very fragrant while snowdrops are not. LOTV have white bell shaped flowers with a frilly edge. Here us the link showing snowdrop flowers: https://contentinacottage.blogspot.com/2019/03/my-first-snowdrops-to-bloom-this-year.html
xo, Rosemary

Lisa D. said...

Thank you for the clarification, Rosemary. I did not realize until now when I googled it, that Lily of the Valley is poisonous!

JEANNE ILLENYE said...

Ooohhh...they are gorgeous! What a dense clump, too! I've always loved them! I just checked and see they are deer resistant. Since the deer and rabbits eat my crocuses, the snowdrops will be a welcome alternative.

Content in a Cottage said...

lisa -- Hellebore plants are poisonous too. Who knew? But that doesn't make me love them any less. Mine are planted next to my Lily of the Valley patch so they can be poison buddies.
xo, Rosemary