Monday, September 2, 2019

Windsor Chairs Around My Farm Table

This is a previously posted photo showing the old bentwood chairs around my farm table. They came with my cottage and have served me well. I recently found a set of 4 handmade windsor chairs and I snapped them up. I had two more in a different style for the two ends.

This is the same view as the first photo only for some reason I had my phone's camera set on square. The Fan-Back Windsors on either end were already in my collection. I was friends with the man who made them. The new chairs on either side of my farm table are the thrift shop finds.

I had the overhead lights on for this view. Don't my new Bow-Back Windsor chairs look fabulous against my wide board floors and with the black hardware on my cabinets? They look right at home with the two chairs I already owned. I cannot imagine why anyone would get rid of these authentic reproduction windsor chairs, handmade in New Hampshire, but I am glad they did. 
My mother moved in my cottage full time in the summer of 2003 and I moved in after selling my old house in mid-winter 2004. It has taken me 15 years to get my kitchen just right but patience is my super power. Have a great Labor Day. It is a rainy day here at my cottage and I am thankful to get to stay inside all day long and take it easy. I have been on a cleaning/organizing tangent (again) and the insides of my cupboards are finally the way I want them. I still have to deal with my basement before Thursday when my new washing machine arrives. But today I shall watch movies and do fun things inside. xo

20 comments:

JudyMac said...

Your home deserves a spread in House Beautiful! The new chairs are lovely.

Content in a Cottage said...

JudyMac -- Thanks so much. I do have fun rearranging and replacing things until I get them just right. I wasn't shopping for new chairs but these found me on my way to pay my property taxes. I planned a new route that day with a stop at a charity shop on the way and it turned out to be my lucky day.
xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

Hi Rosemary! I think the bentwood chairs looked fine, but the combination of styles in your new chairs provides more interest. Plus, who could resist handmade chairs? Yes, your patience paid off big time. Hope you enjoy them for many years to come!

Lisa D. said...

It looks super cozy, and very east coast to me, but I'm a Californian who has never lived on the east coast, so what do I know? I love your wood ceiling too. In fact, so much of the interior of your cottage is wood. I love the warmth of wood. I have a friend who lives about a mile away from me, and she has THE MOST ENCHANTING HOUSE AND GARDEN I HAVE EVER SEEN! I kid you not. It's not big - so many people now are building these enormous edifices. It's a small cottage style house, made of chocolate brown wood shingles on the outside and lots of old growth California Valley Oaks that hug up against the house. But with the extreme fire dangers that exist now in California, I might be a little concerned living there. Enjoy your new chairs, Rosemary, and thank you for the post.

P.S. Don't forget, Downton Abbey the movie is coming out on September 20th.

Rosie said...

I do love your kitchen, it's my style too, although I don't have one like it, but it is perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Mom said...

The patina on your table is amazing and I love your 2 new chairs!

Patti Lapp said...

Beautiful!

Content in a Cottage said...

lisa -- Thank you SO MUCH for the reminder about Downton Abbey on 9/20. I had no idea but have now marked my calendar. Thanks also for the story about your friend's enchanting home.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I am loving the combination of chair styles too. My new arrangement makes me happy every time I enter my kitchen. I am working very hard to keep the table clutter free.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Rosie -- Thank you. I am pleased to hear we share the same love of a certain style whether you actually have it or not.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

mom -- I recently gave my farm table a good coat of dark wax to make the natural patina even more beautiful. I already owned the 2 chairs on either end. The new ones from the charity shop are the 4 on the sides. The new combination works so well and I am thrilled.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Patti Lapp -- Thank you.
xo, Rosemary

annette said...

Thank you,Rosemary,for sharing your beautiful kitchen with us.Whenever possible I will always choose a table instead of an island in my kitchen.xo

Content in a Cottage said...

annette -- My farm table does everything an island would and more. It's the ultimate worktable.
xo, Rosemary

Joyce Hobbs said...

Stunning!!

Content in a Cottage said...

Joyce Hobbs -- Thanks, Joyce!!!!!
xo, Rosemary

annaed said...

Perfection!

Content in a Cottage said...

annaed -- Thanks so much!
xo, Rosemary

Betty said...

Your home is so cozy and beautiful. Love the new chairs!

The Queen Vee said...

Rosemary, I am still your devoted friend and fan. Have been reading your posts but not commenting because I'm most often catching up with you very late at night when my brain is tired and has pretty much shut down in regard to any ability to write a coherent thought.

The new, to you, Windsor chairs are perfect for your kitchen and aesthetic, they were meant to be yours.....no luck just serendipitous. I love them and I love that they found super powered you!