Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Beatrix Potter Watercolor 1898: SNAIL

Beatrix Potter 
(British author and illustrator) 1866 - 1943
A Snail and her Young, 1898
Fine ink and watercolour drawing.
This is definitely a drawing I've never seen and you probably haven't either. I suppose the mother snail is watching one of her eggs hatch and she's using a magnifying glass! I never knew they laid eggs so Beatrix is still educating me. I love the red clover flowers embellishing the artwork. There must be a story behind this artwork because it took her almost a month to complete it. She must have discovered the eggs and watched the whole progress as they matured and became baby snails. She must have been the one using a magnifying glass so she transferred the process to the mother as a bit of the whimsy we all know and love in her artwork. via
15 FASCINATING FACTS ABOUT BEATRIX POTTER
Pam found a video on YouTube showing a snail laying eggs that look like pearls. View it here. Thanks, Pam!!!

5 comments:

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

I love Beatrix Potter! I have never sen this little snail before, thank you for sharing.

Dianna said...

Wow, that is adorable and scientific all in one! I have not seen that one before. I'm so glad you shared it.

Pam said...

Oh Rosemary, this illustration made me curious so I researched snails and actually stumbled upon a Youtube video entitled "Snail Laying Eggs." It is simply amazing. The eggs look like pearls. If you have time, check it out! It's so much fun to learn new things (can you tell I was an elementary school teacher?).

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I cannot wait to view the YouTube video. Thanks so much for telling us about it. Soooooo, Snails really do lay eggs!
xo, Rosemary

The Queen Vee said...

You know I have a 13 year old granddaughter named Beatrix, she is a voracious reader.

Beatrix Potter was such an amazing person, her story so interesting and fascinating. This is a beautiful illustration and the water coloring is perfection. Beatrix's Mama snail looks like her shell is very weighty as she expects her pearlish babies making sure each one is alright.....a very good mama.