Friday, July 5, 2019

OCD Wrens at My Cottage

This new Wren family in the penthouse apartment on my balcony have a bad case of OCD. Every morning the pile of nest debris under their house is in a different spot and it gets smaller every day too. This is not because of the wind, it's definitely the birds. See original pile of nest building supplies here. They are a very odd couple, not at all like the earlier inhabitants. She won't let him inside very often and he sits on the railing and sings his little heart out.

Singing and waiting.

I am thinking of changing my name to Wren Cottage. This one lives in a bird bottle under the eaves of my front bedroom/dressing room. I have 4 nesting wren families in total.

This is my Friday morning barn/garage, field, and sky view with thunderstorms in the weather forecast. Enjoy your long July 4th weekend. xo

5 comments:

sandy lawrence said...

How lucky your are to have so many wren families! I like the name Wren Cottage, too. I believe wrens must be my favorite bird. They are so funny about their nests. I understand the male starts as many as five for the female to choose from, but evidently the Missus in your condo is rearranging the furniture in her final choice!

I once inadvertently hung a bottle wren nest facility too close to my backyard swing one year. Each time I tried to enjoy the swing, the little male would come to the low overhead limb, lean as closely as possible to my face and tell me off in no uncertain terms until I left. He was so funny, stomping and scolding, but quite determined. I had to abandon use of the swing entirely until all fledglings were on their own.

Lisa D. said...

Amazing that you know the number of wren families nesting on your property, Rosemary. You must be a keen observer of nature.

Content in a Cottage said...

Lisa, I have 4 nesting wren families that I know of, all in man-made dwellings. Two are in Williamsburg clay bird bottles on the front of my cottage, one is in my bluebird box in my back yard and the other is in a tin birdhouse on my balcony. Sadly, the wrens have run off my bluebirds. They are small but mighty little birds. I still have bluebirds in my woods and see them occasionally flitting about but I miss having them in their box.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

sandy lawrence -- The wrens are very bossy little birds, aren't they. I love your story and can just imagine the scolding you got while trying to enjoy your swing. I guess you moved your bird bottle after the nest was empty.
xo, Rosemary

The Queen Vee said...

I absolutely think you should name or rename your cottage.... Wren cottage.