Friday, October 12, 2018

My Bedroom Curtains Drying in The Sun

I washed my bedroom curtains today in the tub and put them on a drying rack in the sun to drip dry on this windy day. Ironing was a snap and they look so nice and fresh in my room.

They are hanging wrong side out on the rack and the back sides are somewhat faded in places. The fronts are still bright as new. I made curtains for a big double sliding glass door in 1972 and have remade curtains from that fabric for every place I have lived ever since. There is still a lot of life left in these curtains made from 46 year old fabric. It is woven with no right or wrong side. If it were a printed design, they wouldn't have lasted this long. Blue and white checks forever.

I am shadow waving hello to all of you and hope you have a nice weekend. They won't look at my car until Monday. xo

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello Rosemary!
blue and white checks always look so fresh to me!
our Fall season seems to have finally arrived. it's sweater weather. and sleeping with the windows open is wonderful! xo

Content in a Cottage said...

tammy j -- Today was a beautiful Fall day here too. It might be too chilly tonight for an open window as it is going down to 45° -- I should bring in my outdoor potted plants tomorrow, for sure. My bedroom looks very fresh with the clean curtains. Have a wonderful weekend.
xo, Rosemary

Linda Sand said...

I remade colored sheets into double layered curtains. Then remade those into smaller curtains. I loved how thrifty that felt. But mine did not last as long as yours so you did even better. Hmmm. I just realized I don't actually know how long they lasted since I last saw them still hanging in an RV we sold.

Content in a Cottage said...

Linda Sand -- Great story about your curtains that are now living with someone else. I love the idea of my things taking on new lives when I donate them or remake them. Happy Weekend!
xo, Rosemary

Gail, northern California said...

Sunshine and a drying rack....that's how I "bleach" my linen and knit tops. Love how bright they look and they smell heavenly.

Pam said...

How wonderful that 46 year old fabric is still serving you well, Rosemary! I have heard stories from quilters who claim that fabric can be viable for many, many years if it is handled properly. Amazing!

Lisa D. said...

Oh my - you inspire me, Rosemary. There are toile draperies still hanging in an upstairs bedroom that used to be my bedroom when I was a little girl! I remember that I loved them at the time my mother purchased them. I think I was around 11 years old. Sometime later when I was a teenager, I thought they were dreadful - of course when one is a teenager, one has all sorts of crazy ideas. They have survived, and except for a small tear in part of the lining, they look terrific! They don't make many things to last like that anymore, and I been thinking of re-inventing them into roman shades or perhaps balloon shades for a downstairs room.

The Queen Vee said...

The best part of this post is you waving back at us....Hi Rosemary.