Thursday, January 4, 2024

Wonderful Framed Hunt Print Thrifted Today

I couldn't be more pleased with this Cecil Aldin framed hunt print. The original is circa 1910 and this is a very nice reproduction printed on heavy thick paperboard and it doesn't require being under glass. This is especially nice for me because glass would be too reflective in my kitchen. I came home and hung it immediately after a gentle cleaning. It's 26" x 14".

I really like the way it looks over my doorway into my living room. The size is perfect too.

I can't wait to see it tomorrow in the morning light. These photos were taken in very late afternoon light on a cloudy day. I saw my first tiny snowflakes today and we might have snow for Sunday.

Cecil Aldin -- The Whip. There is an annual hunt each year near my cottage with foxhounds and riders in red jackets conducted by The Spring Valley Hounds. I wasn't sure where this print would fit but I knew I would find a place for it and I did. Don't you love my $12.00 find? I got a nice sweater too. xo

Here is a Sunday morning photo that shows the hunt print very accurately. It's snowing lightly and the sky is overcast.


I don't think I have ever taken a photo from this angle. Now you see the whole wall that needs artwork with a sporting theme. Finding another Cecil Alden would be nice but that's almost too much to hope for. 

Stay safe if you have to drive in the snow. I am staying put until Mother Nature goes into melting mode. I don't need to go anywhere and I have a pot of soup simmering on the stove. xo

16 comments:

Content in a Cottage said...

NEW POST up and running featuring my latest thrifted find. xo, Rosemary

JudyMac said...

Congrats! Don’t you just love great finds like the Hounds! And the perfect place to hang them. I’m considering a sale tomorrow but the to-do list has one item that ranks a little higher. Looks like a bit of snow headed your way, that is if the weatherman is correct.

Debbie said...

It's a wonderful find. I love the thrift store. :)

Content in a Cottage said...

JudyMac -- I am very happy with my hounds! I didn't find it; it found me. Now I have to find more long and narrow artwork for the rest of this wall. The weather report this morning says my area will be mostly rain but we shall see. It will be mostly a coastal storm in New Jersey. I'm prepared to stay at home whatever the weather. Stay snug. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Debbie -- Thrifting is my middle name. The purchase price goes to a worthy cause and you get a prize for the donation! Plus the hunt is so much fun. Glad to hear you are a kindred spirit. xo, Rosemary

Brenda said...

Dear heart, the size is perfect. And the colors too! Looks like it was made for your cottage. Did you have this spot in mind when you purchased it?

Well done. I too love thrifting (although I just moved and had to pare down my belongings). I still have too many things - perhaps I'll open an Etsy shop. Happy New Year to you, Rosemary.

Brenda

Content in a Cottage said...

Brenda -- I really did not have a place in mind for the hunt print but the kitchen proved to have the perfect spot. Good luck in your new dwelling place. Getting rid of the things you cannot use is no easy task but an Etsy shop might be fun. Happy New Year. xo, Rosemary

Tasha T said...

Your hunting picture was such a lucky find, Rosemary. I have a couple of Cecil Alden's prints of illustrations for Black Beauty ready for framing.

Pam said...

I have no idea where this print might have been hanging before you snagged it, but it's hard to imagine a better location than that spot on your wall, in your cottage. It fits--in every way! Great find!!

We might be getting some snow, too. Stay safe and have a good weekend, Rosemary!

Content in a Cottage said...

Tasha T -- I have always loved Cecil Aldin's artwork so I pounced on this print leaned against the wall on the floor in a stack. It was long and was second from the front so I recognized it immediately. I have never seen his Black Beauty illustrations but know they must be wonderful. Once they are framed you will love them I'm sure!!! We are both luck to have him in our homes. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I measured the height of the space between my door surround and the air conditioning vent and it was 14". The height of my print is 12" so you are right -- it couldn't be more perfect for the space. I got the hook placement right on the the first try. It was cleaned up and hanging on the wall in less than an hour since bringing it home and I couldn't be happier.
My snow is supposed to begin in an hour but will turn to rain tonight as the temperature rises above the freezing point. I'll keep watch and decide whether I should move my car or not. Stay warm and safe this weekend. xo, Rosemary

Noelle said...

Looks lovely there! Great find

Content in a Cottage said...

Noelle -- Thank you! I couldn't be more pleased with this "find" that waited for me to walk by. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

UPDATE: TWO MORE PHOTOS ADDED TO THIS POST. xo, Rosemary

Guestie said...


I love it !!!

And it is fun to see this new vista of your kitchen with sideboard niche.

Tally ho !!!

Guestie

Content in a Cottage said...

Guestie -- Thank you. Now I will think "Tally ho" every time I look at me new (old) sporting hunt print. I'm glad you enjoyed a wide angle shot showing more of my kitchen and the sideboard niche. xo, Rosemary