Thursday, January 11, 2024

Movie Recommendation: The Luzhin Defence with Emily Watson

I watched this movie last night.  
It is leaving TUBI this month so don't delay in watching it. It's FREE and I know you will love it. Filmed in 2000. I adore Emily Watson and she's wonderful in this film. 
"It's the early 1920s and Aleksandr Ivanovich 'Sascha' Luzhin (John Turturro), a gifted but tormented chess player, arrives in a Northern Italian city to compete in an international chess competition. Prior to the tournament he meets Natalia Katkov (Emily Watson) and he falls in love with her almost immediately. She in turn finds his manner to be appealing and they begin to see each other in spite of her mother's disapproval." The screenplay was based on the novel THE DEFENSE (or The Luzhin Defence) by Vladimir Nabokov.

Let me know if you watch it and if you liked it. It is streaming on Prime Video and Apple TV too. "You're welcome." Enjoy! xo

7 comments:

Content in a Cottage said...

UPDATE: Movie Review in a new post up and running Thursday afternoon. Enjoy. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

Thanks for the recommendation and the link, Rosemary. The weatherman has been telling us we're dropping down into the deep freeze this weekend, so we're staying home and I'll have plenty of time to check out this movie!

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- We are going into a deep freeze too this weekend. Another movie on TUBI you might want to watch is THE WINSLOW BOY. I watched it last night and loved it. It is also leaving Tubi soon. Hope you enjoy one or both of my recommendations. January is the perfect month to indulge yourself. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

Rosemary, you're right about Emily Watson's performance. She can appear such a vulnerable character yet she is strong. I enjoyed the movie. It certainly helped pass the time of a snowy, blowy Saturday. Thanks!

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. My Saturday was snowless and mild but it's getting colder. Have a nice rest of the weekend. xo, Rosemary

mia said...

I loved it. Thanks for the recommendation. I loved Emily Watson, and Geraldine James, too. Every detail of the movie was perfect. I find I've drifted away from Masterpiece Theatre, after being a devoted fan for decades. It's changed in ways I don't like. As much as I dislike the commercials in this one, at least it was free. Advertising is everywhere, or popups asking for money. I did enjoy this more than The Queen's Gambit, which was too Hollywoodish for me. I love the feeling of the suspension of disbelief, of feeling like you're there with the characters in real life. This film did that for me. May have to watch it again while I wait for this freezing weather to go away.

Content in a Cottage said...

mia -- I'm so glad you liked this movie as much as I did. I might have to watch it again too. I still watch Grantchester, All Creatures Great and Small and I watch Miss Scarlet and The Duke but I don't love it. I agree about the ads on Tubi but have learned to live with them. Do you have KANOPY through your town's public library card? Not all libraries offer this App for free movies without ads. Mine offers it and HOOPLA too for movies, e-books and audio books. Happy movie watching while it's cold outside. xo, Rosemary