Thursday, May 11, 2023

Disturbed a House Wren Nest by Accident



There was a house wren's nest full of her clutch in this hen planter. This photo is after I put it back along with all the dead plants that I scooped up without knowing there was a nest.


I had my hands full and wanted to dump the soil near my parked car where I planted a Buttonwood Bush seedling my town gave out on Earth Day. I got 4 rooted cuttings of this native plant that is attractive to pollinators and butterflies.


When I bent down to spread the soil I noticed some movement and look closely and saw a pile of young wrens. There must have 6 or 7. The mother took them back with no problem but she made them fledge today.


Here is a photo of the empty nest. That was my excitement for the last couple of day. Tomorrow I will show you my overwintered geraniums that are looking so pretty on my balcony. xo

6 comments:

Lisa D. said...

I'm surprised a bird would nest in such an accessible place.

Tasha T said...

What a lovely surprise to find so many baby wrens! I'm so pleased they have survived their house move and that they have successfully fledged with mother's help. It's amazing the places birds find to build their nests. I have had a robin's nest in the cotoneaster right under my kitchen window this year. It is within inches of where I like to sit on the patio, and the mother bird wasn't concerned at all that I could see her to-ing and fro-ing with food.
I hope your bluebirds are doing well.

Pam said...

I'll bet you were shocked to see those baby wrens! Glad they were ready to fledge. I enjoy hearing house wrens chatter back and forth.

Have a great weekend, Rosemary. I know you'll be thinking of your dear mom as we honor them tomorrow. Mine has been gone for 12 years and I still think of her every day.

Content in a Cottage said...

Lisa D. -- I thought the same thing. When the nest was being build the area was all but deserted but when I turned my hoses on it became one of the busiest places around. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Tasha T -- Your English Robin is much more understanding than my American Robin. She flies out of her nest every time I open the basement door. How fantastic to sit in your favorite spot and see your Mother Robin feed her young. That sounds fantastic. My bluebirds are doing well. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I always enjoy the chattering of the wrens. They usually start another family in the old nest after the first clutch has fledged. But not this year in the Hen Planter! My mother lives in my heart and I think about her every day. Happy Mother's Day, Pam. xo, Rosemary