Wednesday, April 5, 2023

My Portrait of A Robin


Date: April 11, 2011
Robin Redbreast
Nikon Photo

I have been trying to clean up my old MacBookAir dated late 2010. For some reason, I cannot transfer the photos to the newer laptop I got two years ago. This is my favorite bird photo of all time and I'm so glad I have it again. I had to email it from my old computer to my new one. I have flocks of robins that live on and around my cottage. The same Mother Robin aways builds a nest under my balcony floor and raises at least two families. I do hope she returns again this year. I had to clean out all the old nests when I had my balcony floor power washed underneath last year before my house was painted. I had two workers power wash the upper balcony floor, my house, the picket fence, front walk, and the barn/garage too. My workers were fabulous and my Trex deck flooring looks new again after 20 years. I still marvel at how nice my house looks after wood repairs, two new coats of white paint, and changing the shutters and front door color to black.

I can vividly remember taking this photo while holding my breath and getting as close as I possibly could before snapping the shutter. I like to think this handsome bird was posing for me. xo

13 comments:

Caroline said...

I have a rock fountain in my garden and the male robins love to posture and sit with their breast directly under the most powerful waterfall !!! They are hilarious this time of year. I have pics somewhere from years past. I love to watch as they shake and flutter. Your camera skills are amazing !! Happy Easter to you.

Lisa D. said...

She's a beautiful robin. Every Spring there is a crested blue jay that builds a nest in the front of my house just behind one of my motion detector lights, and every Spring that light fails to work. I'm sure mama blue jay disconnects it so that she and her babies can get some shut eye!

Content in a Cottage said...

Caroline -- Robins are such enthusiastic bathers but yours are Olympic champions. Robins daring to bathe under your fountain's waterfall must be so much fun to watch! Thanks for the story and Happy Easter to you too. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Lisa D. -- That's a great story about your nesting blue jay. Nesting season is so exciting, isn't it? Does you husband have to do anything to the light after the birds fledge or does it start working again on its own? Happy Easter. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

What a great shot, Rosemary. We're seeing lots of robins and today I saw bluebirds. YAY!!! We also spied our first butterfly of the season. Life is good.

Lisa D. said...

Rosemary, I have to call my electrician to come over and make any necessary repairs, but I don't mind. I feel flattered that the birds have chose my house to build their nests. I only wish I got more of them.

JudyMac said...

Great photo, Rosemary! I think there are a few young Robins around my place as some of them look quite slim. Others have the big round tummy. 😍😂

Kay G. said...

LOVE this photo of your robin! We love these birds so much, we call them "Robs" as a fond nickname! They are not good fliers though, so if you see one fly across the road in front of your car, please just let up on gas just slightly and that will be enough to let them cross in front of you. We love our ROBS!

Content in a Cottage said...

Lisa D. -- I would do the same thing. It's an honor to have a bird choose your outdoor lighting fixture to build her nest and raise her Crested Blue Jay family. Maybe your electrician will eventually give you a bird-lover discount. Happy Easter. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Thanks, JudyMac. Judy, I've had quite a few robins but haven't paid much attention to their shapes. Must study them more carefully! Hope you and Angie have a Happy Easter. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I'm so happy to year you have seen a bluebird recently. That must have been a thrill. Lucky you for having seen a butterfly too. Spring is such an exciting season getting to see our favorite things, one by one. Robins are pretty ordinary birds but I love them! Have a Happy Easter. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Kay G. -- I love your nickname for your robins. ROBS!!!!! That's so sweet. I don't think I've ever seen one fly in the path of my car but will remember to slow down if I ever do. I never drive on highways because I like to drive slowly so the ROBS are always safe with me on the country and back roads. xo, Rosemary

Gretchen Joanna said...

He is truly a handsome guy!! I'm so glad you went to the trouble to email his portrait to yourself so you could post it. A good bird photograph is an accomplishment and a treasure.