Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Heirloom Pumpkins and Gourds, Oh My!










I had a million things to do today and was out the door at 9:30. Everything fell into place nicely because I had planned my route perfectly. My last stop was the ShopRite for just a few things; celery and vegan mayonnaise. In case you haven't tried it, Hellmann's is absolutely delicious. 


I was skeptical at first but decided to try it and this is my third jar. I love it and really can't tell the difference from the original. I'm trying to watch my cholesterol! I can't remember but I might have purchased the smallest jar for my first purchase. I love mayonnaise and always have so I was surprised I liked this so much. I have tried others -- one made with Avocado oil (didn't like) and the contents separated.

Ok, getting back to the first 5 photos -- I parked very far from the front door of the grocery store so I could walk past the outdoor plant section. They had some beautiful heirloom pumpkins and gourds reduced from $6.99 each to $.99 each so I bought 8 of the best ones and I love them. I will save the seeds for next year when they begin to get soft. The birds will enjoy them too on the stump with the weathervane. I might even try cooking the two smooth ones. Anyway they are something I'll enjoy each time I go out the front door and you get some fresh new fall photos and no leaves.


One last photo taken inside my vestibule looking outside. Now you can see this wonderful sage green grayish heirloom pumpkin on the chair. 
xo

6 comments:

Pam said...

Wow! The pumpkins and gourds were a steal at .99! Good for you, Rosemary! I think it would be fun to bake/roast the pumpkins. It might make a lot, but I know it freezes well. And in the meantime, they are lovely to look at. I really like the pumpkin in the last photo.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- The pumpkin in the last photo is the first one I put in my cart. I couldn't believe my luck. These are true Thanksgiving decorations and will surely last that long. I stopped at the service desk to confirm the price before I started my regular shopping. I'm glad you like them too. xo, Rosemary

JudyMac said...

Looks like you really hit the jackpot with the pumpkins! Better to sell them for 99 cents than let them rot and throw away. I always put my pumpkin seeds over in the woods for the birds and other critters.

Tara Dillard said...

Great reminder to save the seeds for the birds. Great day for you...treasures.

Is that a faux bois table in one of the pics?

Especially adore you shooting a Double Axis for us.

Your house looking so GOOD.

Garden & Be Well, T

Content in a Cottage said...

JudyMac -- Judy, You're right. That was a smart move for my supermarket to reduce these items rather than letting them go in the garbage. I will get a lot of pleasure from them in the meantime. It's good to hear you share your pumpkin pulp and seeds with the wildlife too. Pumpkin seeds are full of nutrients. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Tara Dillard -- Tara, The item in the first photo with the tree trunk base is a faux bois birdbath. I purchased it about 30 years ago at an on-site auction with no idea how I would get it home since I was with a friend in her car. Luckily an antique dealer I knew with a van picked it up for me and delivered it to my house. The top is a segmented bird's nest. It's one of my favorite things. xo, Rosemary