Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Peony Fever

All of my peonies are opening at once. Usually my white ones are first followed by red and pinks are always last. My white ones are getting squeezed out and I might have to move them. I tried doing it last year but they seem to be cemented in. Will try again when I cut them back.

These are my favorites.

I mowed the front today in this COOL weather (66° at 5pm). I can hardly believe I had my central air on all day yesterday. I guess the peonies are confused too. I'm not complaining about nice weather for working outside. xo

5 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Rosemary, I'm curious and have to ask. What is the narrow "door" area with handle behind the chair?

Pam said...

I love peonies! My light pinks were the last to open this year. Last fall, I took a spade and loosed the soil all around them, trying to clean out the grass as I went. They did expand and seemed healthier. I don't know if it was due to the weather or the soil work that helped them. I think they're hard to move. Those roots don't want to let go.

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- That is a full length shutter. There is another one on the other side of the front door. I'll try to include both in some subsequent peony photos. We had torrential rain all night and they are drooping this morning. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam, I think you are right about peony roots but your suggestion about loosening the soil behind my white one is something that might work. Thanks. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- Here is a photo of my cottage dated February 3, 2021 after a big snow. It shows the shutters in either side of my front door.

https://contentinacottage.blogspot.com/2021/02/my-cottage-after-plowing.html

xo, Rosemary