Saturday, June 25, 2022

New Dahlia Bed This Year

I park my car between the barn and the first column. A few weeks ago I dug out a new bed for my numerous dahlia tubers that successfully survived being stored in my bunker. I honestly thought they were all dead or I would have planted all or most of them a lot sooner than I did. One day I saw they were sprouting and went to work. Digging out the turf in this small area was hard but worth it. I used the diggings to fill in some sinkholes in my lawn they were the result of tree trunks rotting beneath the soil. 


The tubers are growing fast and furiously and this will be a wonderful cutting garden when they bloom. I planted some of the best ones out front several weeks before this project and they are already over three feet tall and very full. Dahlias are so easy and so rewarding but I am not fond of the digging up part in late fall but it's really a small price to pay for the lovely flowers they produce. Have a great weekend. xo

1 comment:

Pam said...

That's a perfect spot for your dahlias! Every time you get in and out of your car, you'll be able to enjoy them. We're desperate for rain in our area and it's been hotter than usual. I had thought about planting more around the foundation of our home, but have decided to wait. I don't think I've ever watered a garden as much as I have this year. We work hard to grow the things we love, and commit to tending them. Then they flower or bear food, and it's worth it all! Have a great weekend, Rosemary!