Monday, May 30, 2022

🇺🇸 The Poem of World War I 🇺🇸


IN FLANDERS FIELDS
John McCrae, 1872 - 1918

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place, and in the sky,
The larks, still bravely singing, fly,
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead; short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe!
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high!
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

READ MORE about the poem of World War I in an article from The Washington Post. I posted this in 2017 with more about the Punch article.

🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸

6 comments:

Pam said...

Although I wish we could live in a world without war, this poem a good reminder of the price that has been paid for freedom. So many lives lost. Deep sacrifices that are difficult to comprehend. I am glad that we have this day set aside to remember. And I have always been moved by the line that says, "...short days ago we lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,loved and were loved, and now we lie..." Sometimes I need to be reminded of how precious this life is, and how quickly it can pass. Thank you for this post, Rosemary. xoxo

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I'm glad we have a special day to honor fallen soldiers and veterans too. I watched the free full-length movie with no commercials entitled 1917 yesterday on my laptop because I couldn't figure out how to stream it. It was a powerful war movie with a special way of filming that made the dangerous journey virtually seamless to deliver a cease fire message that could save 1,600 lives. Here's the link:

https://www.bilibili.tv/en/video/2002809535

xo, Rosemary

Anonymous said...

thank you for the link Rosemary. I will watch it.
it seems man has been 'at war' for one reason or another since the beginning. you would think he'd have learned.
maybe Mothers should rule the world. xo

Lisa D. said...

I know it's important to recognize and remember the unimaginable price previous generations paid so that we could live in a better world, but it's just so heartbreaking. I wish we lived in a world without war too. I wonder if that is possible.

Content in a Cottage said...

tammy j -- Tam, If only Mothers could rule the world there would be no more war. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Lisa D. -- It is heartbreaking to think about the losses families have suffered because of war. A world without war is something we all hope for. xo, Rosemary