Monday, February 7, 2022

The Big Reveal: Roman Shades Are Hung

Daytime view when partially raised.

 
I had to do a little adjusting of the length of certain cords on the back to make them hang straight. It took me quite a while to figure this out but Rome wasn't built in a day and neither were these Roman Shades. 😂


This photo was taken on the first morning after I lowered them the night before. The room was warmer than it would have been otherwise. It was 10° outside but the skies were clear and the sunrise was bright. Did you notice I have "draft dodgers" below each door?


I really wasn't fond of the feel of the room.


It felt like a hotel room.


I am still getting used to them in the fully extended length. Having a warmer room is a big plus and it will be much cooler in the summer to block the blinding sun. I much prefer them raised and if I were willing to sacrifice warmth and coolness they could easily stay in this position all the time. 


When raised to conceal the top two rows of glass, the sun glare that has always bothered me is eliminated. I found a label on the back of the cornices with the name of the factory that made these shades that were constructed in 2006. Anderson Fabrics, Inc. Blackduck, MN 565630

I'm glad I didn't have to choose the fabric and the design of these window treatments. I am much better at restoring and repurposing something that already exists. I'm that way with houses too. I can work with one with good bones but have never wanted to build from scratch.

This exercise has made me give new admiration for the work professional designers do for their clients. Window treatments have to be one of the hardest tasks and the installation is another nightmare. Getting the completed projects to hang perfectly is no easy task and listening to the customers complain is another. It must take a lot of hand holding. Anyway, I have nobody to blame but myself when something I do doesn't turn out as expected and that almost never happens. I research everything to death and work out projects in my head before I start anything. So far, so good and I am basically thrilled with this project. Sigh of relief. xo

17 comments:

Anita ~ the cabin on the creek said...

Very impressive, Rosemary — I admire your tenacity with a project that appears to have been a challenge. These Roman shades are just gorgeous & look like they were made for this room. I think they add a cozy feel, & with the added protection from the cold, or heat, the room will no doubt feel more comfortable.

...all is grace!

Content in a Cottage said...

Anita ~ the cabin on the creek: Anita, It sounds worse than it was. I was lucky these shades were the perfect size and were designed for doors just like mine. I just eyed them up in the tent at the rummage sale and took my chances I could make them work and I did. I honestly did not realize the pulls were on opposite sides and were designed so the cords were on the side with the doorknob. I just got lucky I hung the first one on the proper side. I hadn't planned for the room to look so dark with three layers of fabric to filter the natural light but I'm getting used to it. I still have two large windows on the front side of the house that only have swags and are otherwise wide open to the outside so I can still see out. Now I'm wondering what my next project will be. xo, Rosemary

Mama Pea said...

The shades look as if they were custom made for the room. With your beautiful lamps, I think the darkened room only looks cozy. But I do agree that there's nothing like natural sunlight to make a room look and feel cheery. I know what you mean about the glare from the sun at times making it uncomfortable. Our kitchen table is up against south facing windows and at certain times of the year we have to pull down the shades on those windows to avoid a bad glare that actually gives me a headache. With your shades, you have the option of putting them down for warmth at night and/or to cut the glare and keep the room cooler in the day time. Otherwise, they look perfect in their drawn up position. Good job! Thanks for sharing all the pictures.

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- I know what YOU mean about sun glare; I have lived with it for way too long. These roman shades are the perfect solution. I would have been happy with roller shades but these roman shades do the double job of preventing glare and insulating too. I circled the wagon over and over at the tent sale before I decided to buy them and I honestly cannot believe how perfect they are for my room and my problem. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. xo, Rosemary

Betty said...

You are so talented! I love your beautiful, cozy home. ❤️

Linda said...

They look fantastic. I really enjoy the photos of your home. Has it ever been featured in a magazine?
Linda W

Content in a Cottage said...

Betty -- Thank you. It feels even cozier now. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Linda 00 Linda W, Thanks so much. My blog is my magazine. My first house was once in NJ Monthly Magazine back in the 1970s. That was two lifetimes ago😂 xo, Rosemary

Guestie said...


Utterly charming and beautifully reconfigured!

Guestie in Charlottesville

Pam said...

A real success, Rosemary! They look wonderful! I think door drapery is a huge challenge, but these Roman shades are an incredible addition to your sweet cottage. It will be interesting to see what they do for your comfort level, year round. I think you deserve to put your feet up and take a rest.xo

j gateley otoole said...

Just beautiful !

Content in a Cottage said...

j gately otoole -- Thank you. I am very pleased! xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- Thanks so much. The weather is much milder than it was when I started the project. These Roman shades are perfect for my sun glare problem and I honestly think the house feels warmer when I lower them completely at dusk. I think door treatments are hard too and I'm glad these worked out so well. I haven't done anything constructive since I hung them on Sunday so I am definitely putting my feet up. xo, Rosemary

Anonymous said...

OH! no words! I've read every comment and they're All spot on!
your little (and not so little at all really) cottage has every hallmark of a cherished English country house to me. it was all 'selected' and not just bought to fill a space! and it shows. it's just grand Rosemary! but still keeps its coziness and warmth ... due to YOU. that's a fine line to walk.
these shades have the added benefit of your OWN diligence and workmanship! I could go on but I feel more gushing coming on! LOL. I'm just Proud to know you! :D XOXO

Content in a Cottage said...

tammy j -- Tam, I don't think I will ever completely finish giving new life to my home and it wouldn't be any fun if I did. Thank you for gushing about my decorating. Yes, everything was carefully chosen for each spot. Things have to be the right scale too. I do agree that I will enjoy these Roman shades because of the work I did to give them a second life. I am enjoying them immensely. Thank you for all the gushing😘 I really appreciate your support. xo, Rosemary

Lisa D. said...

OMG, your shades are just gorgeous, Rosemary. What an accomplishment. I don't think I could have done it.

Content in a Cottage said...

Lisa D. -- You could have done it. Nothing was really that hard. I just did one step at a time. I had already lined up someone to help me hang them but I decided to try and do it myself. Sometimes too many cooks spoil the broth. When I finally found the perfect nails, after looking through my extensive assortment, the rest was easy. I'm glad you like the way they turned out. xo, Rosemary