Friday, February 11, 2022

Climbing Vine on My Windowsill


I haven't rooted a sweet potato in water since I was in grammar school. This one in my kitchen is reaching for the sky and all I have to do is make sure the pitcher doesn't dry out. I will plant it on my balcony and let it climb on the railings when weather permits. Happy Friday. xo



https://101gardening.blogspot.com/2016/05/how-to-grow-sweet-potato-vine-indoors.html

My sweet potato was already putting out green shoots when I brought it home from a friend's kitchen counter. The link above has detailed instructions for using a whole one suspended in water root side down. The ones I did as a child were always cut near the top so we could eat the rest😂



Here is a link for using a cut sweet potato as I did. It also has instructions for rooting in potting soil. You might want to do a lot of these and plant them outside in your garden at the appropriate time. Who knew?

Eileen in Fla asked for instructions. Here they are, Eileen.

Happy windowsill gardening🌿

9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

What a pleasant reminder! Many years ago, I would frequently put a sweet potato in water, let it root and enjoy the pretty vining greenery it put forth. I need to do that again. Thanks!

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- Everything old is new again! It's nice to see something growing so actively in the dead of winter. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

Just a little bit of green can sure impact a room. I remember sticking toothpicks in avocado seeds to start them growing in the window, too.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I remember doing that with avocado seeds too. Window gardens of any kind are so nice in the winter. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

Rosemary, thank you for the link on the previous post about the Edinburgh apartment. It was fun seeing the rest of the home.

Eileen in Fla. said...

Details please. Do you totally immerse the potato? Do you cut it or leave whole? Doesn't it rot? Are there fruit flys? Thanks for this idea to have a little greenery in the window.

Content in a Cottage said...

Eileen in Fla. -- Eileen, I added a DIY link to the post along with a photo. Have fun with your first sweet potato vine. xo, Rosemary

Eileen in Fla. said...

You're so kind - Thank you,I'm on it - The Japanese Magnolias are blooming and azaleas will be right behind. My city is known as the "place where Spring begins."

Content in a Cottage said...

Eileen in Fla. -- Eileen, I'm glad I could help you root some sweet potatoes so you can plant them outside in the place where Spring begins. That city in Florida sounds charming. Happy gardening. xo, Rosemary