Thursday, November 4, 2021

The Tattoo Artist by Norman Rockwell


This magazine cover and artwork is new to me. I grew up in a household full of magazines and eagerly awaited the arrival of new ones. The Saturday Evening Post was one of my favorites and I especially loved the covers by Norman Rockwell. 

The Tattoo Artist, Norman Rockwell, 1944, Brooklyn Museum: American Art Reproduced on the cover of “The Saturday Evening Post” (March 4, 1944). © 1944 SEPS: Licensed by Curtis Publishing, Indianapolis, IN. www.curtispublishing.com All rights reserved. www.curtispublishing.com Ó 1944 SEPS: Licensed by Curtis Publishing, Indianapolis, IN All rights reserved. www.curtispublishing.com Size: 43 1/8 x 33 1/8 in. (109.5 x 84.1 cm) Frame: 49 x 39 x 3 in. (124.5 x 99.1 x 7.6 cm) Medium: Oil on canvas. Photo and information found here.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I'm a fan of Norman Rockwell. His work has always appealed to me, but I was not familiar with this one. I like it!

Jean Ellen said...

I don't think I have ever seen this one either. I heard he always tried to use live models for his work. You can really see this in the sailor getting the tattoo. Notice how his forehead is not sunburned like the rest of his face. I think with that detail, you can assume this was taken from a live model. I love to just study his work. Thanks for sharing this one.