Saturday, November 6, 2021

Latest Free Find for My Lower Level TV








I am still rearranging as I find new items to decorate my lower level! I found this small chest upside down at the recycling center after a night of rain recently. I thought the brasses on the drawer fronts were nice so I put it in the trunk of my car. The top was covered with all sorts of paint spots as if the previous owner had used it for as a painter's easel. I really wasn't planning to use it as a piece of furniture, I just wanted the brasses. BUT when I got it home, I realized it was the perfect size and height for the small TV I had in the attic and seldom used. After I touched up all the nicks and scratches with a small brush dipped in Old English Furniture Polish. After wiping off the excess, I put a small rug on top to hide the paint blobs, and it was transformed. It isn't old and many of the parts are made of "pressed wood" but it's perfect for all the other things down there that are either garage sale finds or curbside finds and it's the correct scale too. My mother sold all of her furniture when she sold her condo in Charlotte and came to live with me in 2001. We had such fun finding her new furnishings and now I am enjoying adding and rearranging down there. I never look for the things I bring home, they somehow find ME.
 
Have a great weekend and don't forget to set your clocks BACK an hour before you go to bed tonight. xo
 

6 comments:

Gail, northern California said...

How nice that you gave it new life. A purpose. We are too quick to throw away, many times because we haven't the room. That's just sad when surely someone could use it.
By the way, I think it's beautiful.

Content in a Cottage said...

Gail, northern California -- Thanks, Gail. I never throw anything away that I can donate or give to friends. And when I donate to charity shops, I always end up buying something too. I am very happy the way this salvaged piece turned out and was very surprised too. It really did look quite awful in the junk heap. xo, Rosemary

Anonymous said...

wonderful! an example of one person's trash is another person's treasure! it's a perfect fit for that spot! xo

Content in a Cottage said...

tammy j -- Tam, I couldn't be more pleased with the way it looks in the room. Glad you agree. Enjoy the extra hour of sleep tonight. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

What good fortune, Rosemary! I love when those things we want and need "find" us. Kismet!! It looks great.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam, It's true. I didn't even have the TV in that room at the time because I didn't like the way it looked on an old typewriter table. The plug behind it showed and that bothered me. A lady who was working behind the counter at a thrift shop once commented she never bought anything anywhere else because sooner or later something she wanted or needed would show up. xo, Rosemary