Monday, August 23, 2021

Did Not Know: Our Second Heart is in Our Calves + Classical Stretch by Essentrics Exercises

I ordered two DVDs recently: Season 11 and Season 12 of CLASSICAL STRETCH | ESSENTRICS on PBS. Here is the website. Each box has 4 discs and 30 sessions so I am all set for two months of daily stretches. I am on the second disc of Season 11 called FULL BODY MOBILITY. Yesterday she mentioned that our calves are often called our second heart because they pump oxygenated blood to our heart above. I never knew this. She had me doing simple calf lifts -- up on your toes and back down again. Each daily stretching exercise is only 22 minutes long. I am enjoying them and feel that my posture has improved and other things too. Her program is on the PBS CREATE channel on Saturdays at 6am Sunday mornings twice at 6am and 6:30am if you want to check them out. I have always been strong and healthy but these exercises are mainly for connective tissue and creating long strong muscles for balance. The second DVD is entitled Aging Backward. I am not very fond of the floor exercises because I don't have a Yoga Mat and my space in front of my desktop computer isn't ideal. The exercises with a chair are okay but I love the sessions with just stretching the best. All of the exercises are slow and don't seem very hard but I work up a sweat by the end. I got my 2 sets on eBay from one seller for about $25 w/ free shipping. On PBS each set costs about $65.00.

I did some research on my own about our calves and found out she was right. I have new respect for my calf muscles now!


The website for the above photo is hereThe video below is on that link too.

The link for this video on YouTube is here. This is also an ad for compression stockings at the end. Sorry about that but I really liked the animation about how the pumps in our calves operate to pump blood back to the heart. I never knew how important our calves were until now.


This is a photo of my two DVDs. 

The rain has stopped and I was up and down all night while it was coming down hoping my basement would stay dry and it did. I have only had water down there twice, once during Irene in 2010 and I can't remember the other time because it was minor. Sandy was not one of them in 2012. The one in 2010 was terrible because we had 17 consecutive days of rain and when Irene hit with her winds and downpours there was no place for the water to go since the land was already super saturated. Luckily, we did not lose power and I was able to pump the water out myself. My basement doesn't have a sump pump. Anyway, I hope everyone is safe and didn't have anything catastrophic happen in the way of Hurricane Season and Henri. xo 

UPDATE: I added two links for you to watch and try at home if you are interested in improving your balance and posture and getting strength through gentle stretching. xo


This link is for a 30 MIN Full-body Pain Relief Workout | Essentrics on YouTube

ESSENTRICS is on Instagram
Look at some good stretches there!

The link below has a free 12 minute workout conducted by Miranda's daughter on YouTube. 

UPDATE: I got up early today (Saturday) and discovered Miranda's program Classical Stretch is on PBS Create at 6am. She is on again on Sundays twice, at 6:00 & 6:30am. If you have a DVR you can record and have 3 classes for the coming week. xo

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for this post Rosemary!
I had a terrible fall on March 8th of this year resulting in a huge forehead wound and hematoma. it wasn't until the end of May until it was totally healed. I just did the barest of minimum in movement and now I'm paying the price! I've always done yoga but couldn't because of the hematoma and the placement of the wound.
stretching is SO valuable!!! I'll look forward to this program. like you... I had No Idea the health of our calf muscles was so important! I've been doing strength exercises for a while now. but my New resolve because of this is even More so! thank you again! I appreciate you. xoxo

Content in a Cottage said...

tammy j -- Tam, I found a FREE gentle full-body workout for you to try on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnaxj4ejDdM

Classical Stretch Ecentrics has a youtube channel. Some of the classes are free. Others require a paid subscription.

You should look for the beginner classes.

https://essentrics.com/beginners-guide/

Let me know if you like these.

xo, Rosemary



Linda Sand said...

I have instructions for stretches done while sitting in a chair. It starts with neck stretches and does all the various body parts including heel and toe lifts. I hadn't realized how long it had been since I did these until I tried some neck stretches just now. Thanks for reminding me to start doing them again.

Anonymous said...

Rosemary!
I thank you so much for these.
I LOVE HER. and it was so peaceful... there on the pier in Mexico!
she is great. I managed to stay with her except for the very last. my stamina is pitiful. but I will get there!
650 muscles worked out. she's just wonderful.
and I have only done the one so far.
I've saved them all to a file.
and I will do each one. I started with the beginner one
as you suggested. I have all kinds of new hope!
I was beginning to feel Ancient and just at a loss.
they remind me of Tai Chi and ballet! LOL.
thanks again. so much! do I sound excited? LOLOL! XOXO

Pam said...

Once again, I've learned something very valuable from you, Rosemary. I had no idea how our calves actually worked. I appreciate the links you listed, too. As I've gotten older, maintaining balance and strength are important to me. Thanks for always thinking of us!

Anita ~ the cabin on the creek said...

I love this blog Rosemary & feel it is just what I need. I am active in the sense of taking care of my property, but feel sometimes I need more at this age. The winter is the worst for me because I'm not outside as much. Last summer I had Lyme, & then again this spring into summer, so I have been more sluggish than usual.

I will need to figure out how to watch these because I no longer have a DVD player on my computer. But hopefully I can come up with something. And love the information about the calves...who knew?

...all is grace!

Content in a Cottage said...

Anita ~ the cabin on the creek -- Anita, If you have a DVR, you can record the CLASSICAL STRETCH early on Sunday mornings. In my area it is on twice at 6am and another session at 8am. Check your schedule for the PBS GREATE channel. I added some additional links at the end of this post. She is also on YouTube and you can sign up for a two week trial with free classes. I don't know what the pricing is for classes after that. I just donated all of my old DVD players or I would send you one. Are you on the NEXTDOOR APP? It is wonderful and maybe someone in your area is selling one or even giving one away. Also look for an older TV with a built-in DVD player at thrift shops and tag sales. If you put it out there, the universe will help you find one.😂 I can't tell you how many times I run across things that have been on my mind.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- The human body is amazing, isn't it? Standing on your tiptoes and releasing to a flat foot is a good exercise to strengthen your calves. When I first started my DVD classes I could not stand on my toes without holding on to the back of a chair but now I can do it without holding on. So my calves are getting stronger and pumping oxygenated blood back to my heart. Why did I never know this????? I am glad I helped you learn something too.
xo, Rosemary

Ulvmor said...

Every time I've been pregnant my blood pressure has been seriously low, and my pulse really high (so low that some people are pronounced dead with same readings...) My heart was working overtime to get blood moving in my veins (not even running...), and when I was walking, my pulse went down to normal levels and my bp got up a little bit. That was when I learnt how my calves act as a heart (it was confirmed by my doctors and nurses, when I was wondering about it). Yes, our body works in strange ways.

Content in a Cottage said...

Ulvmor -- I wish this fact were more publicized. Calf lifts are so easy to do and I wish I had started this exercise sooner. I think it's quite fascinating. I never wondered once how the blood got from my feet back to my heart. Now I know and have new respect for my calves. Thanks for stopping by to comment.
xo, Rosemary