Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Hessian Soldier Cookie Mold from Williamsburg


I purchased this Virginia Metalcrafters item hanging on my wall long ago at an estate sale. It turned out to be the perfect size to hang in my pantry/office on a narrow space beside the front window. He is a Hessian Soldier made of Aluminum (called Silvertone) and was copied from an old mold used in the Bake Shop at Williamsburg. The impressed stamp shows the Virginia Metalcrafters’ familiar Betty Lamp hallmark.
I have never made a cookie with it but I would use a shortbread or maybe a gingerbread recipe if I ever tried.
I have seen a similar design on fireplace andirons too. There are wonderful items out there and it's up to people like you and me to find them, display them, brag about them, and love them again.

UPDATE: I FOUND A RECIPE TO USE WITH THIS MOLD HERE.
xo

7 comments:

Pam said...

Such an interesting mold. It's amazing how well some artifacts from the past can still be useful and beautiful.

mia said...

Charming. It would be fun to actually use it, though. I was just watching a movie on the Morgan Library's Ig post, “Bound for Versailles: The Jayne Wrightsman Bookbindings Collection,” and she certainly took your comment to heart. You might like the reel/exhibit.

kathiquilts said...

He would make a beautiful Springerle cookie!

Content in a Cottage said...

kathiquilts -- Thanks for the suggestion. I finally found the perfect recipe for this mold and it is on today's post.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

mia -- I watched the movie on Instagram about the French Bookbindings Exhibit at The Morgan Library. I never would have found it without you. I am following them now. It was fascinating. Thanks so much.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- As far as cookie molds are concerned, the cookies probably taste just as good if you use a modern reproduction rather than an antique one, right?
xo, Rosemary

Unknown said...

I bought one of these guys at trade day today anyone know how much they are worth?