Friday, June 11, 2021

Lacecap Hydrangea at My Cottage


The first blooms on my lacecap hydrangea are just appearing and the bush is lovelier than ever this year. It's in the perfect location and last year I was careful to cut back all the stems with blooms after they finished because this variety blooms on last year's growth. It looked a little haggard after I pruned it but the new growth filled in rather quickly. I love the almost perfectly round shape of this woody shrub as you will see in the next photo.


I took this photo this morning before I started mowing the way back. As you can see from the sky, it was overcast all day and cool, never above 70°. I finished mowing around 1:30 and 5 minutes later it started to sprinkle rain. I have mastered my John Deere Garden Tractor and I absolutely love it. I'm not afraid of it anymore and it does such a great job. It took an extra day this week to get it all done. The first day it was blazing hot and I ran out of gas before I finished all of the back yard. So yesterday I finished that and quit so the grass in the back meadow could dry out more. Today was such a perfect day and now I'm finished for a while. Have a great weekend. xo


2 comments:

Pam said...

Such a beautiful, lush lawn. I have the same type hydrangeas and really like them, too. They seem to have more blooms this year. Glad you like your John Deere lawn tractor. My husband's favorite JD lawn tractor is 27 years old. I hope you get decades of use from yours. Have a good weekend, Rosemary.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I had John Deere tractors at my two previous homes. They are definitely work horses and have Kohler engines. The one I have now is a much smaller version that's lower to the ground and I really love it. I bought it used from the man down the street who works on small engines, repairs them, and resells to people like me. He got it from an 83 year old man nearby who bought it new and used it for a long time before his hands became too weak to work certain levers. I don't have that problem so it's just right for me. I think it has good karma because the former owner loved it and hated to let it go. My friend put on new tires, sharpened the blade and did a complete overhaul. I can always call him if I have problems.
I'm glad your Lacecap is outperforming this year too. Have a great weekend.
xo, Rosemary