Friday, June 12, 2020

My Poppies in Bud Stage

I planted the seeds for these red poppies on a mild day in March when lockdown first began. I had just transplanted my mother's daffodils in a spot that was visible from my kitchen window. It dawned on me that I would have to look at their withering yellow foliage after the daffs stopped blooming. I decided to plant these poppies to take over where the daffodils left off and it worked beyond my wildest hopes. The seed packet was over a year old and I had no idea whether or not the seeds would germinate. Poppy seeds need cold before they can grow and fall is the best time to sow the seeds. We had plenty of cold weather in April and May so my late sowing was successful. Will post more pics when I get blooms.

Enjoy the upcoming weekend. xo

2 comments:

Pam said...

I love poppies! Years ago, I had a lovely neighbor and she grew red and purple poppies. They grew in waves in her back yard--so gorgeous! I hope you enjoy yours, Rosemary. Looking forward to your pics!

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- Your neighbor's poppies sound delightful as do the color combination she chose. I am hoping for good luck with my small patch.
xo, Rosemary