Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Coreopsis grandiflora 'SunKiss'

This clump of coreopsis or tickseed survived its first winter because it was planted in the ground. I lost several that were planted in outdoor containers. I transplanted it from the front to the back very early in the spring and it has taken off.

Here is a wider view of my 4 poppies that bloomed yesterday and there were no additional blooms this morning.

I have tons of buds and am looking forward to seeing them open. I have done some research about the seeds I planted and have learned I did everything wrong. I had already transplanted daffodils and covered the newly dug patch with wood chips before I got the idea to plant my poppy seeds. It was a very laborious process pulling away the wood chips with a chopstick and dropping in a pinch of the tiny seeds and covering them up. I repeated this process over and over to cover the entire area. Now mind you, the daffodils were going to emerge first leaving the seeds under the foliage of the bulbs. You are supposed to plant the seeds and barely cover with almost no soil so they can get sunlight in order to germinate. They also need cold for germination and I did that part correctly. Was this beginner's luck or is there more than one way to plant these annual seeds that will reseed and keep coming back? I can't imagine doing it any other way and I didn't thin them either. I will let some of the pods go to seeds and save them for next year. xo

6 comments:

Pam said...

How wonderful that your poppies will reseed themselves. Your coreopsis is a great burst of color too! Glad that clump survived.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I will save some of the seed pods and replant myself. The ones that explode on their own will do their own reseeding. If you want to encourage blooms it's best to cut the seed pods so the energy goes to the flowers rather than the seed production. I am enjoying my coreopsis now that I can see it from my kitchen window. It was a gift from a friend.
xo, Rosemary

minwks said...

Hi Rosemary,
If you want plentiful poppies ... not just a few blooms this year then leave the pods to develop and they will scatter themselves.
You can also shake them into an envelope once they start to rattle in the pod if you want to disburse them in a different area.
I packaged up about fifty envelopes of seed and gave them to my garden club ladies. They were of the Pom Pom pink poppies. Luckily they are easy to pull out if you have too many.
Have fun,
Janine

Penelope Bianchi said...

I say BRAVO!!! You have to deal with such weather! Those flowers are so beautiful!

You are an inspiration to everyone!

such a gorgeous place!

Content in a Cottage said...

minwks -- Janine, Thank you so much for your tried and true poppy advice. You must have quite the poppy patch to pack up 50 seed envelopes for your garden club ladies. I must go to Google Images to view your Pom Pom pink variety. They sound delightful. I can't imagine ever having too many poppies!
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Penelope Bianchi -- Penelope, We have had a dry spell lately and all the garden centers are sending out notices to remind people to water their plants. Storms are on the way every day for a week to help though. The poppies I planted are supposed to be the easiest to grow and they didn't disappoint. I'm glad you like them too.
xo, Rosemary