Friday, April 10, 2020

Baking: My Sourdough Oat Bread

As promised, here is the loaf (minus a few slices) of Sourdough Oat Bread I baked yesterday. The cookbook is opened to the page for how to make the starter. Click on the link for the recipe I used. I am very pleased and this bread is very satisfying somehow and doesn't leave me wanting to snack after eating it. Maybe I'm on to something. Staying at home during this pandemic makes one try to go back to homesteading, doesn't it? I have dabbled with sourdough several times before but I think this time, I will stick with it. 
I put this photo on Instagram this morning and so many people are learning sourdough techniques right now. I am looking forward to learning more. I will probably have french toast made with my loaf tomorrow for breakfast. See you tomorrow. xo
UPDATE: HuffPost has a great article on the immense popularity of backing sourdough bread now that people are home all day. Everything old is new again!!!

2 comments:

Gail, northern California said...

Unfortunately, now there's a run on flour, sugar, eggs and yeast! Can't win for losing!

Content in a Cottage said...

Gail, northern California -- Gail -- I know. I have been using my freshest bags of flour and I have a cannister of really old flour to fall back on. I have a brick of yeast that has been in my refrigerator for years and will probably still work. I have a bag of flax seeds to grind up and make flax eggs for baking : one tablespoon ground flax meal mixed with three tablespoons of water. Mix and let thicken for 15 minutes before adding to your batter. You can use chia seeds too. Just keep placing your orders for home delivery and eventually you will get more supplies. I am unusually well prepared for some reason because I always buy the giant size of everything because I really don't like to go food shopping. I ordered a supply of my boxed shelf stable soymilk online almost three weeks ago and it's being delivered on the 18th. You really have to think ahead and use what you have in the meantime. I found a really old book among my cookbooks entitled MAKING THE BEST OF BASICS Family Preparedness Handbook. It has a whole chapter devoted to Sourdough Recipes. We are all in this together and maybe my tips will help you.
Happy Easter.
xo, Rosemary