Saturday, February 8, 2020

Bluebirds in February

I could not be more excited having seen lots of bluebirds circling in my backyard this morning while brewing my coffee. This is an old photo and I recently replaced this house with a larger one from the Audubon Society. Last year the house wrens claimed it and I have high hopes the bluebirds will win out this year. I worked in the yard before the ground froze and installed a new metal post that is much sturdier than the copper pipe on the house above. Bluebirds are very picky about where they live and they were always happy here before the wrens took over. Fingers crossed. Spring is definitely in the air today and the sky is blue with no clouds. So nice after several days of rain. Enjoy your weekend. xo

2 comments:

Lisa D. said...

He really is blue! I've never seen a Bluebird where I live in northern California, only Bluejays, which are quite different. Jays are kind of the bullies of the garden. They chase all the other birds away.

JEANNE ILLENYE said...

How lucky you are to have Bluebirds and so many! What a treat! I'm native to NJ (Bergen County) but never saw a Bluebird. We were in Montvale, further North from the rest of the Beck family in Hoboken and Guttenburg so felt we were in the country in our small little town, yet no Bluebirds. Even here in Michigan where we've been now for 20 years, I still haven't seen one. We adore and feed all the birds and have many birdhouses but maybe we should install a Bluebird house and put up a "For Rent" sign and see who shows up! Just a thought, perhaps installing another nestbox for the darling little House Wrens will deter them from your Bluebird house? Looking forward to the Spring birdsong!