Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Our Vines Have Tender Grapes: Movie Review


An endearing and quietly rhapsodic slice of Americana about a single year among the Norwegian immigrants in a Wisconsin farm town, Our Vines Have Tender Grapes enthralled 1945 audiences and critics with its timeless joys. Told from the viewpoint of little Selma (Margaret O’Brien), the film explores grand childhood adventures: making friends, a pet calf, Christmas, a terrifying trip down a flood-swollen river, a barn fire and a ride on a circus elephant’s trunk. In a change-of-pace role, Edward G. Robinson is a revelation of wisdom and compassion as Selma’s father, leading a fine cast that illuminates the profound power of everyday triumphs and sorrows.

I have watched this movie twice on TCM and love it. It follows the life of a close Norwegian family in a Wisconsin settlement. The family values of the whole village are wonderful and Margaret O'Brien is a treasure. I love her telling of the Nativity in the church Christmas pageant.

Maybe you can find the DVD at your library. You can stream it on Amazon and iTunes. This is a must-see movie. I have never read the book but it must be wonderful too.

4 comments:

MrsB said...

I saw this on TCM...and just loved it. Everyone especially good. Poor child so heartbroken when Dad made her give her skates to the little scamp who lied.

Content in a Cottage said...

MrsB -- It is a very special movie. Glad you saw it too.
xo, Rosemary

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I watched it just recently on TCM. It left me with such a good feeling. I highly recommend it as an antidote to the stress of our times. Just give yourself a moment to decompress as you ease into it. I wish there were more happy family movies made now. Even the dog story movies are too intense for me nowadays.

Content in a Cottage said...

susie@persimmon moon cottage -- I found it on TCM the first time around and missed the first part. I have noticed that TCM is repeating movies more frequently than they did in the past. I think this is an unsung old movie that deserves all the attention and new viewers it can get. I'm glad you found it too. Margaret O'Brien was a wonderful child actress.
xo, Rosemary