Saturday, July 13, 2019

Snakes at My Cottage

This little harmless garter snake has taken a liking to sunning himself atop the two large English boxwood flanking my front walk. I realize most of you are rushing for your delete button to get away from my photo of him but I think he's cute. I embrace the snakes around my cottage because they eat mice and mice are the only critters that absolutely terrify me. 

I once had a blue-eyed snake at my cottage and blogged about him here. I used my Nikon to photograph him.

Snake in the grass.

Rare Blue-Eyed Snake at My Cottage

The weather seems more bearable today and I have opened a few windows and the central air is turned off. Have a great weekend. xo

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Okay, Rosemary, that last picture of your blue-eyed snake about did me in! I can take bugs of all sorts, other creepy-crawlies, mice, rats, shrews, moles, whatever but snakes (((shudder))) are my fear. (Me and Indian Jones, eh?)

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- You and I would make a great team. I am not afraid of bugs but am fearful of all rodents. I am so sorry my snake photos frightened you. Believe me, you are not alone. I have scared half of Instagram too.
I hope you don't have bad dreams tonight.
xo, Rosemary

Lisa D. said...

The little garter snake sunning himself is cute, and I have never seen a blue eyed snake before. I'm not much of a snake fan either, but they are a necessary part of our greater ecosystem.

Lisa said...

What a cutie!

sandy lawrence said...

Love, love garden snakes. They're such helpers and interesting to watch as well. Your blue-eyed snake is beyond awesome! Did not know they existed but now I'm coveting one for my own garden. Or two.

BTW, the cure for mice-fear is to meet a harvest mouse, about the size of your thumb, round ears and cute as a button. They're protected in the UK. We have the Western Harvest Mouse in the U.S. and Mexico. (Agreed - not fond of rats!)
https://www.boredpanda.com/cute-harvest-mouses-dean-mason-photography/?afterlogin=savecommentvote&comment=3429895&score=1

Daisy Debs said...

Blue eyed snake is beautiful ! :)

Betty said...

I'll take the snake over rodents!

The Queen Vee said...

I'm with Mama Pea all the way, snakes send me running. I have to say though that your snake photos are great, especially that last one of the blue eyed snake.