Thursday, May 30, 2019

May Flowers in Bloom at My Cottage

I have no idea what this is or where it came from. A bird must have planted it for me. The purple flower is small, measuring only two inches across the two lower petals. There is a spider inside and some sort of winged pollinator on his way to the yellow stamens in the center. This looks like a small flat iris and I love having it in my front garden.

This is the third nasturtium blossom I have had from my overwintered plants.

My lamb's ears in the back are standing proud and tall this spring. The lace cap hydrangea in the distance is full of bud that will be blooming soon. The limelight hydrangea in the left foreground has no buds yet but it's are loving all the rain we've been having.

My pink peonies will be opening soon. This bud is the most advanced. They are already starting to droop because of all the rain drops inside. They are taller than ever this year, up to my chin. They are the loveliest of all spring flowers, agreed?

And last, but not least, the humble wild daisy.

5 comments:

sandy lawrence said...

I believe your beautiful purple flower is a Tradescantia virginiana or what I grew up calling Spiderwort. It re-seeds generously. All your plants look wonderful and yes, the peony is just the best of spring flowers. Unfortunately, in Zone 8b in Texas, I cannot successfully grow it. :(
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=m630

Anonymous said...

beautiful! thank you Rosemary for sharing your garden with us in all seasons.
and I love the little fly that has landed on the purple flower. he appears to be looking back at YOU! I hope he's keeping an eye on mister spider there or he might just be lunch!

Lisa D. said...

Ooh...your peonies. Peonies are just wonderful!

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I think the blue/purple flower is a Spiderwort, funny that there is that tiny little colorful spider posing inside of it. Your peonies are pretty, I have never been able to grow them. The daisy says summer's on its way.

Penelope Bianchi said...

I adore your cottage, your garden......and your curiosity and energy!

Love to you and your divine cottage! I have had a turkey visit! Now a deer I would love to come! I planted roses especially for our deer in Pasadena!