Friday, May 31, 2019

Great Vintage Cottage Kitchen

I love this gardener's kitchen and I spy lots of clay pots on the enclosed back porch. The galvanized pot with a bay tree is great, even if you don/t use bay leaves a lot in your cooking. Those old cutting boards are handy as well as decorative. I have quite a few myself but have noticed they have all but disappeared from house sales because they are prized now. I don't really understand the long brass closures on the cupboard doors. Guess you have to be there to figure them out. I could work happily in this small space even if there were no dishwasher. PS: mine is broken and I am considering putting something else in the opening because I didn't use it that much anyway. I had it repaired once and got quite a few years out of it but it has started leaking again. Actually, this problem is from lack of use in the particular model I have. There is something in the center that dries out when not used regularly. I will probably replace it with a better one but not until I review all my alternatives for the space.

3 comments:

RedSkyeAtNight said...

Hi Rosemary!

Your contemplation re: dishwashers spoke to me. I calculated the electricity (my water comes from my well) used by only my dishwasher & found out it was $32/month !

Since it's only me (& kitties), in July 2017 I experimented with washing everything by hand. I had been washing pots & pans, Tupperware & that sort of thing so it only added dishes, utensils & glassware. It took a bit of tweaking, but it is now a piece of cake!

I also have a timer on my water heater & it is On only 90 min per day, split into three 30 min segments.

Additional to your extra potential storage cabinet, you will never have to worry about leaks/repairs again :)

Have a wonderful weekend,
Skye

Content in a Cottage said...

RedSkyeAtNight -- I wash all my dishes at night and put them in the drainer in my other sink. In the morning I put everything away and everything I own is clean. If I'm baking or doing some mid-day cooking requiring lots of pots and pans I do those right away. I too have a well but my water heater is natural gas and is quite economical. I like my new system much better than putting dishes in the dishwasher until I have enough for a full load.
Your system sounds as if you've tweaked it to perfection. Saving on utilities is a big plus too. Good for you. I'm sure we are not alone in not minding hand washing our dishes.
Enjoy your weekend too.
xo, Rosemary

Nyla said...

I also rarely use my dishwasher. I do exactly the same as you, wash them in the evening and leave them to drain and dry and put them away in the morning. Works so well, I don't mind it at all. I will leave the dishwasher there in case a decision was made to sell. I think potential buyers would expect a dishwasher. I do use it when my kids come for a visit. Have a lovely June!