Friday, October 19, 2018

Apples and Fall are Perfect Together

This is the big antique wooden charger in the middle of my kitchen farm table. It is 25-1/2 inches wide at its widest point and is out of round due to shrinkage. I love it. I bought an 8-pound bag of Cortland Apples yesterday at Wegmans, a large new grocery store just beyond Morristown. It's not a big box store but it does have family packs of certain items. Yesterday there were all varieties of apples in 8-pound bags for $5.99, what a bargain! I counted them when I got home and there were 18. I put half on the table and the other half in my crisper. They are everything I hoped they would be in an eating apple -- crisp, juicy and sweet but not too sweet. I love an apple that snaps when you bite into it and I would have been crushed had they been mushy. Now I am all set with fruit for two weeks. They don't have stickers on them either, and I like that. They remind me of the old-fashioned apples my mother and I used to pick at my oldest friend in New Jersey's house but she moved a couple of years ago and now I have to take my chances with apples and buy before I can taste them.

I put this photo on Instagram yesterday but liked it enough to put it on my blog too. I am looking forward to Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages tonight on PBS. After that, I'll watch something I have recorded because there's nothing else on that interests me. Enjoy your Friday night and have a great weekend. I turned on the furnace for the first time on Wednesday and last night it got below freezing. I am so glad I emptied all of my galvanized watering cans and put them in the garage yesterday before they froze and exploded. I learned that lesson the hard way. xo

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Love apples, but can no longer eat them fresh - too hard. Instead, I microwave them with butter, sugar, and cinnamon. What an Autumn treat!
Recently, I bought DVDs of the three seasons of 'Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages', which arrived yesterday! Am looking forward to them, but will only watch one each evening, so as to lengthen the enjoyment.
Such simple delights - along with your website!

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

This looks beautiful. I personally think that Fall apples are the best apples of the year. I am happy to hear that your car is fixed, let us hope it runs for a long while.

I love your curtains and the beautiful memory with your mother.

Content in a Cottage said...


Grace Frazier -- I love a good baked apple too. I like the hard apples that snap when you bite into them for eating. I use the ones that don't snap for baking. I agree, they are the perfect autumn treat.
Enjoy your DVDs -- you will love armchair travels with Penelope Keith.
xo, Rosemary

Beth said...

I LOVE the charger! Three cheers for things with age and patina and other signs of wear!

And I'm very pleased that your apples are snappy. Mushy "fresh" apples are the worst.

There's an orchard about 45 minutes from here and it is mobbed this time of year. The north-south street that runs along it gets shut down to any traffic that's not heading to the orchard. It's kinda nutty that it dominates the whole area. I've never gone.

But I need to run to the store today and will be happy to pick up some good apples to use up a bit of almond butter I have left over from baking yesterday. Slices of apples and nut butter are one of my favorite snacks.

Hope your weekend is cozy and relaxed!

jane said...

I wish that store was near me!! Am so tired of looking for stuff at the store and it is green not ripe. And all the same variety of fruit or veg. And the stickers drive me nuts!!!!!!!!!!

Brenda said...

I used to live in upstate New York and there was an apple orchard behind my house. I was spoiled by the freshness of the apples. If you ever find Mcoun apples you might like them Crisp with a hint of sweetness. Wegmans also got its start in upstate NY and I was spoiled by them also. I live in Florida now and miss Autumn. I’ve never seen Penelope Keith but will look for her show.

Linda said...

Ahhh . . . tis the season of many treasured late fruits and veggies . . . all as photogenic as they are tasty. Your combined apples in charger really do make the ultimate fall edible center piece.

A frost already! Guess I shouldn't be surprised. The Cottage stands ready to keep you snug.

Chris said...

I love your blog. You always have beautiful pictures and illustrations with, for me, timeless design. Not a fan of Durrells in Corfu or Poldark ? I spent my summer watching as much BBC as Prime had to offer. Glad you have your wheels back !