Sunday, September 16, 2018

1917 Illustration from a Children's Book

Sweetest illustration by Janet Laura Scott 
Verse by John G. Bowman
The book, Happy All Through The Day, was published in 1917. I love the way the girls' room is decorated. I have always loved to study interior design in children's books.

There is a hole through almost every page in the book. It was presented to a boy named George for Christmas in 1924 by his mother. George must have gotten a compass too. He practiced drawing circles on the back cover and the sharp pointed thing made a hole like the one above. I was able to clone it out in the first photo using iPhoto on my Mac.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

This is adorable! I love looking at interior design in children's books, too! My favorite are the Eloise Wilkin illustrations.

Donna said...

I love these early 20th c. illustrations too. They're so charming. Apparently George was less impressed since he was so busy using his compass! Thank you for sharing all your beautiful thoughts!

annette said...

So charming! Kathy mentioned Eloise Wilkens. I decorated my daughter's childhood room with inspiration from an Eloise Wilken's book. xo

The Queen Vee said...

A simpler time, very charming. I love the history of the book and hole.